Leap

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ashley408
Ashley408's picture
Leap

I know leap allows you to ignore terrain that isn't too high to move over it.  Whilst playing in the GM on Saturday several people said a character with leap that just moves across normal terrain without going over terrain gets 1inch extra movement.

I thought it was mor about getting over things rather than being faster.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

It feels a little gamey and I don't know if it was intended or not but the current rule set allows it due to the within wording.

"Leap: When this model declares a Melee, Charge, Walk or Run action, and is not in BtB with an Enemy model. It may, during its movement reduce the distance it would move by X"; X cannot be greater than a model’s base Move Statistic. If so then place this model anywhere within X, the model may not be placed in BtB with an Enemy model or in an Enemy model’s ZoC. The placement cannot cause it to cross over another model or Terrain element with a height greater than twice its own. The model then completes its movement and action."

From measuring distances:
"When measuring if a model or point is within a given range then exactly up to that range is considered within. E.g. if the edge of a model’s base is exactly 6" away from its Opponent’s base it is considered to be within 6"."

So the rear of your base can be placed within the leap range rather than the model being completely within.

E.g. I declare a run action with Master Po, taking his move allowance to 6". As a part of that run I declare a 2" leap after 4" of straight line running. From my start point I create a 2" zone to land within meaning the rear of my model can be at the edge of the 2" and I gain the base volume as extra movement. I can then position my facing however I please thanks to the 'placed' rule wording.

"Placed: If a model is Placed it cannot be Placed into the Volume of an Impassable Terrain Element, another model or into BtB with an Enemy model. The player Placing the model decides the model’s Facing."

I hope that helps with the leap query! I only discovered it at the GM Saturday too but I use models with place abilities a lot so it made sense. :)

Axiam

Ret-JamesHasker09
Ret-JamesHasker09's picture

yeah I used leap at the GM and expla Bed it as a extra inch. As you gain your base size within the action.
So small base 1" medium base 2" etc
But yeah leap can be used to "leap" over terriain and models.
However if I am running in a straight line without needed to "leap" over any thing no I just do a 1" placement before the action. To somplify the manoeuvre I'm doing rather then move a model 4", place within 1" then go the rest of the run.

Grand Master 2016

Ret-JamesHasker09
Ret-JamesHasker09's picture

Explained**

Grand Master 2016

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

Under review.

Wogshrog

I've been told that when you leap you have to place your base completely within the distance. It's somewhere on the forum. But I too was getting the extra inch when I first used it 

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

The current ruling is the one James is correctly using. Anyway, I also recall having an extensive discussion about this matter, where I had been repeatedly said from official sources "You don't get that extra inch, it should be completely within". But I haven't found the post yet, so no way to prove it.

I supposse it will see changes in the next errata, in case any change is needed.

Personally, it didn't feel fair playing two nezumis getting that extra inch.

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Thanks everyone.  It feels wrong to get the distance due to the measuring rule but I sense this will get FAQed!

geekbuddy

Still confused(or silly, or both). When it says "The model then completes its movement and action" and you have declared a melee or charge action, what is the point of leap since you can't attack?

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

It means that after the leap placement, the model resolves the declared action.

It shouldn't be mistaken with "the action ends / is considered resolved"

GCT Master Enos
GCT Master Enos's picture

I am aware of Leap gaining base size in movement.  The old ruling was not included in errata so is void.

I am going to discuss with retainers but the extra move was being used as counter play to certain effects (Darkness, Breath of Yurei for example) and we like good counter play options.

Its odd that you can move 0" and actually move 30mm.

Also under discussion is if the place needs to be in a straight line for a leaping run or charge.  Currently RAW it doesn't help the complexity.

Quick side note:  Ignore James Hasker's measurements.  Small bases are not 1" and medium bases are not 2".  Please don't use these measurements for anything!

Grand Master of Bushido (Smog Con '14)

yenohoney