Using imperial sisters

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ashley408
Ashley408's picture
Using imperial sisters

I picked up a pack of imperials at bonescon and am working on how to meld them into a Ryu list.

Having all three sisters, Yukio  and two golden sentinels leaves me short of bodies to achieve objectives especially as they work best when within 3” of each other so it’s hard to cover spread-out objectives.

For a 50 point list, I was thinking about dropping a sentinel to add in Madoka and two Goshi to provide  some activations and chaff. In 50 points, less than 8 models feels hard work (perhaps that’s why we didn,t see many Ninja lists).

How have others run them?

Yukio’s new card and control ability looks amazing. It struck me at bonescon that tricks like lure, disguise, bodyguard and control were much more prevalent in people’s lists.

Looking forward to any thoughts on running the new Yukio as well.  He could make syndicate control lists even meaner.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

I think the elite-ness and potential for additional activations means you wouldn't really need 8 models to start removing opponents models off the board and having cheaper weaker models often results in being outnumbered once they go down anyway.

Yukio is an odd one as he doesn't contribute well to combat and cannot do scenario actions himself. Obey is very strong when it goes off and being able to deflect an opponents attack for 1ki is also great for forcing opponents to have to gang up to take down a very annoying control model.
If you wanted to get more prefecture in, the sisters do not gain particular benefits to being in a 3 so taking 2 is just as effective. Maybe supplement with a soulless Pilgrim for messing with soulless disguise and opponents control/support characters. That way you only need to run the sisters in pairs, meaning the impact on scenario actions is reduced.

Axiam

MistakeNot
MistakeNot's picture

8 models sounds like a lot for 50, 7 seems to be the most common here. Or less, but I like lists full of elite models.

I'd drop Yukio before a Golden Sentinel, the GSs are so durable with their armour, prowess, and toughness; Yukio just doesn't seem to add as much. If you want 8 models, the Princesses + 2 GS + 2 Goshi + Madoka or the little healer.

The sisters do definitely get a bonus for having more of them around; two fighty princesses to melee (specifically Bodyguard and the move-into-melee feat) and the third to have 4 activations some turns. Brutal 1 archery with a free(ish) walk to get into position, plus a free(ish) reload..

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Guys

Thanks much food for thought.

I might playtest the following:

3 sisters 24 rice

Yukio 7 rice

2 Golden sentinels 16

Goshi 3 rice

With perhaps the ordered for battle theme to enable swapping out some cards to add models for say the 6 objective games.

I think this list would be very stong for VIM and Zone control games plus do ok on 3 objective scenarios but struggle with 6 objective scenarios.

I Know Yukio is a Odd one but as a Ryu player the chance to control someone else rather than being controlled is too exciting to pass up althought I wish we could use Dark Secrets cards...

Presumably if I went for a cheap Sydicate model instead of a Goshi then I could effectively play Imperial but with access to Syndicate event cards...by declaring that as my faction.

Am I right in saying that if I played an all imperial list (say the one above without the Goshi), I could use event cards from any of the factions they can join as Ronin?

Ret-TheD

Faction specific special cards can only be purchased into a warband of that faction. An all ronin warband would belong only to the ronin faction. So only the generic cards would be available to them. At least until a ronin specific card pack is introduced.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

You pick your faction first.  If your warband happens to be all ronin, it’s still faction-keyed.  So you end up with warbands most people refer to as “Imperial Prefecture” or “Imperial Ito” and the like.

Full Imperial STS is pretty scary, but going full imperial has serious match-up problems when fighting into another imperial style warband as the Golden Sentinels are really expensive scenario turners at that point.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

If you mean can you include event cards of mixed origin, then I do not think so based on the Ronin wording in the faction section of the rule book (Probably errata if not using Ben's amalgamated version.)

8. Faction symbol: Which Faction the model belongs to.
Your Warband can only recruit models that belong to
the same Faction.
a) Some models are from the Ronin Faction.

b) Ronin models can be included in warbands of
multiple different factions, as detailed on their
card.

c) Ronin models may be recruited into any warband
of a faction that is listed on the Ronin card either
by faction symbol or in words.

d) Ronin can only have Generic Enhancement cards
and cannot be included in any Faction theme lists
unless the theme specifies Ronin of that type.

e) They can be included in Generic Theme Lists. It is
permissible to make a list for a given faction that
includes only Ronin models.

The use of "a faction" would suggest only one faction at a time but event/scenery cards of that faction would be fair game alongside the generic enhancements. Roadside idol and spiritual harmony for example.

Axiam

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Guys

Thanks I wasn’t thinking of running different faction cards but more like a ‘syndicate Imperial’ with some cards like bought loyalty and dark secrets...

I agree though that just having six models (I.e. two Golden Sentinels)  would suffer from a lack of activations...

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Control can give quite an activation swing when it goes off though.

You are right in that you don't have to have a model for the faction to be able to take event cards from it.

Sts do have some very nice cheaper models were you to decide to though. Two nunchuck guys for the price of a sister/sentinel & would take you to 7 models with two survivable scenario action guys.
With the tournament theme it would allow you to pick and choose the least useful 7/8 rice model to swap out, based on match ups, and with a pit dog and 4 rice of events (2x bought loyalty and 2 rice for insider information for example or hotel's blessing/balance/ameratsu's riddle) you would have a lot of options going into each match up.

Of course you'd probably spend the first ten minutes of the match trying to work out which of the awesome combinations you wanted to keep ;)

Axiam

Ret-TheD

Huh. Every day you learn something new.

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Thanks everyone....

So I have the following ‘Imperial Syndicate’ 50 rice list.

Three sworn sisters 24

Yukio 7

Golden Sentinal 8

Kyoatu-Han crossbowman 5

Kyoatu-Han 4

Dark Secrets 2

This gives me four models with good melee, two good shooters and some nasty ‘control’ options (as I’m convinced in the current meta that you need to have some tricks like this to help swing games).

Although only seven models, shooting/controlling enemy figures should bring 8-10 unit warbands down to size and the plentiful ‘bodyguard’ options amongst the imperials will mess with peoples targeting.  An ordered for battle theme should enable some cards like bought loyalty to be brought in depending on the scenario.

Looking forward to any comments.

KKZ

I'm very confused now, so I have to ask questions:

- Can you take Ronins in your Warband and still be theme based with the non Ronin models from the faction: So lets say, we have 4x KKZ Ninjas from the "House of the Long Shadow", can you then add Kappa and/or Hiretsuna and they just don't benefit from the Theme?

If so, that would be soooo nice. I started Bushido because I bought Hiretsuna in my local gamestore. Just because I liked the model so much. After that I got interessted in the game and it was a bummer, when i realised, that Hiretsuna is not actually a KKZ but a Ronin. And I already bought a lot of KKZ models.

Axiam:

You are right in that you don't have to have a model for the faction to be able to take event cards from it.

- Does that mean, that you can take, lets say Bikou (Ninja) in a Prefecture of Ryu Warband and then give him Event Cards from the KKZ like: Smoke Bomb, Jigoku Berry? If so, are there any cards I can use from other clans as a Ninja?

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

You can only use ronin in a theme if the theme specifically says you can.

Axiam is speaking about what happens if you make an entirely ronin Imperial warband, which you can do but you must still specify which faction you are representing.  This determines which special cards an Imperial style warband can access.

No, you can’t just fling in random special cards from other factions.  Currently.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Also KKZ cards aren't available to the Sisters/Brothers/Imperials because they cannot be taken in KKZ lists.

Axiam