3 player scenarios

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
dgraz
dgraz's picture
3 player scenarios

Hi group,

Are there any decent 3 player scenarios out there, or suggestions. 3 player is usually tough as two players usually go at each other and the third mops up.

But my group is in a wierd spot...we're new and we started with four, but one of our guys had some life issues which have basically taken him away from playing...so for now we're stuck with three.

Any help would be appreciated.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

It would probably need to be corner deployment. You could try Keii with corner deployment instead of base line? The nearest statue could be 2 points and the opponents corner statues are your 3 point targets with all others being worth 1pt? That would force attacks on two fronts and if you have 1 VP for the two players with the highest and second most scenario points turn 2/4/6 it will encourage tactical play into the late game with scenario point resets on 3rd and 5th rounds with 6 turns. I don't know how well it will play but I'd like to hear how it came out. 

Alternatively, Fatherknowsbest came up with an interesting idea around assigning markers to models that would need to deploy them and the warband defend them as best as possible: full rules in the link below but you could modify it to be corner deployment and instead of deploying the markers in the opponents half, have a 12" diameter circle in the centre of the table as the scoring zone, so no one has an advantage at the start.

Full rules here:  http://www.bushido-thegame.com/forum/fatherknowsbest-45-1

You could probably do something similar with zone control but instead of being in a line have three circles in a triangle for each corner and one circle is friendly/neutral/enemy for scoring with the zones 2 inches from each other near the centre of the board. Would be frenetic but could have scoring like in ryodo with the same size zones.

For Reikan you could have 12 inch base line deployment, 6inches to either side of your table edge centre point to formally a triangle of sorts and the target location is a 1" radius circle in the centre of the board that your Vim has to occupy unopposed in the end phase to score the VP. Other VPs for VIM survival and killing both other Vims.

Anyway that's my two cents on adapting some of the scenarios. Not sure how well they will play but if you think of ways to improve them after playing them then let us know! 

Have fun!

Axiam

dgraz
dgraz's picture

Thanks! Great ideas there...got me thinking.

What if I did a Botoku variant? Could say your statue is friendly, and the opponent to your right counts as enemy and left counts as neutral.

Do two corners, then the third put equidistant like the triangle so everyone is the same distance apart...offset the center zone if necessary.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
My Photobucket Page = http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/grazclan2/

dgraz
dgraz's picture

Moving the zones around with Ryodo as you mentioned would work too....with that twist of declaring yours is worth 1, left is worth 2, right is worth 3.

Should force everyone to fight everyone...all trying to attack right while defending left.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Looks like I got your creative instincts flowing there. Both of those ideas should work.

One thing I did think that might be a snag in three player is:  in multiplayer turn based games a low model count warband is very outnumbered by both opponents and may struggle to activate at all before being exhausted by combat. So instead of pass tokens you could try vitality tokens for each model a warband has less than the largest warbands count of models. However, these should have to be evenly distributed across your models and all models must have taken an equal number of actions and be exhausted to play one. I.e. if Ghost uses vitality ki feat during the turn, all other models would have to use the tokens prior to him being able to use one.

Otherwise you are kind of required to construct your warbands around equal-ish numbers.

Glad I could help with scenario ideas.

:)

Axiam

dgraz
dgraz's picture

erg...that could be an issue. And, one of our guys plays KKZ. Seems overly complicated though. Have to give it some thought.

dgraz
dgraz's picture

erg...that could be an issue. And, one of our guys plays KKZ. Seems overly complicated though. Have to give it some thought.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

It's probably less complicated than I make it sound above ha ha. But pass tokens have felt pretty worthless (as a KKZ player myself) but with ninjas auto disengaging feats an extra action could be useful. They'd still have less activations than a swarm list by 1 per model but not completely overrun.

Axiam

yenohoney