Hopes, dreams and ideas for the future of Bushido

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
GCT xoddsx
GCT xoddsx's picture
Hopes, dreams and ideas for the future of Bushido

Morning all,

I was hoping to find out what you, the players, want next? The scope of this is pretty broad from what you may think will help Bushido grow to if there is an individual model your faction needs or you would like. Are there designs or cool elements of Asian culture not represented yet that you'd like to see? Do you like Bushido but wish it had X that another game has or that GCT as a company did X like other companies? 

There's no right and wrong here and I'd love to hear from as many people as possible. We want to improve the way we do things and I think you're the best people to help us do so. Please try to be as constructive as possible.

Thanks,

Odin

Lazarus01
Lazarus01's picture

Thank you for the opportunity to communicate Odin.

1.  Please never go plastic.  I enjoy painting as much as gaming and the fine detail just isn't there.  This shouldn't be a little kids game.  It should be a refuge for all those who appreciate where this whole hobby comes from instead of being spoon fed pre-assembled junk.  I know you were all fans of Confrontation, and we saw what happened there.  Just my hope.

2.  There should be a 2nd Ed of the rules.  Enough time and tinkering have passed that while beautiful, 'New Dawn" just isn't nearly current enough to be a viable player aid.

3.  Along with a new rulebook, the player cards should be completely redone to conform to the new style and to implement the errata changes.  Besides some important rewordings, some cards have been completely rewritten so this is necessary. It's difficult for me to teach new players with the amount of errata flipping needed.  Speaking for myself, I would be more than happy to pay for a new set of updated faction cards.  Printing off the website just isn't the same.  Even though I own almost everything you've made I would gladly do it.

4.  While I know time can be tight as you all have other jobs, I feel a promotional push is needed to get the word further out into the marketplace.  Corvus Belli (Infinity) saw an explosion of interest in their game following their first themed week on the mini gaming website Beasts of War out of Ireland.  They have done several since then as well as a hobby weekend promotion.  As part of the American marketplace, I had never even heard of the game until they were featured so it might be something to seriously consider.

5.  I love the idea of the brothers and sisters theme in the last wave.  As almost a story in itself, that was a good idea and one that should be explored again.

6.  A two-player starter set would probably be easier than you might think.  Now that there's a token set, and custom dice, you have all you need aside from some cool box art.   Just ditch the clamshells, pop in the rest and go.  The starters seem to be balanced at 35 rice anyway so no problems, and Corvus Belli have proved that metal in starter boxes can still sell like crazy.

7.  I would love to see the world beyond the Jwar Isles eventually explored.  This was hinted at in the last wave but it's an intriguing idea.  The possibilities just from greater Asia would be fantastic, let alone from the rest of this fantasy world.  The concept art from something like the native Americas could be incredible.  I would also be interested to know if you have considered cavalry in a limited capacity.  If not done right they would instantly break the game but it might work if carefully managed.  Just a thought.

8.  I know that some people initially passed on Bushido because they thought the early models weren't that good based on the pictures.  Following their viewing in person, those same people loved the models, so some reshoots might be in order if not a repaint from the newer artists.

9.  As to specific things for myself I can't wait to see the rest of the seven deadly sins for Yurei.  I would love to see Lust released next as it could be an interesting departure from the others. A bewitching woman like the one on Kato's shoulder who lures you in with her femininity and then controls or destroys you.  I, like most others, also can't wait for the two unrepresented factions yet to come out.

These are a few of the big things that might help upward momentum.  However, I would like to close by saying that this is the best miniatures game I have ever played.  All of my suggestions come only from wanting the most for the game so that I might enjoy it for years to come.

All my best wishes moving forward, and thanks for listening.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

Resculpt Satsuki. *cough cough*

Some tweaking of basic starter packs - the Cult one brings the two least fun models in the game and promotes a really weird way of playing the Cult.  The Ito Clan one has Akimoto.  Some of the other ones could use some tweaking.

Theme starter packs - I think these go along with the idea of the reinforcement boxes.  They're basically alternative starter packs but only feature models from the appropriate theme along with the theme card.

You guys are already on the 2 player starters...

Some form of online warband constructor.

I'd also like the special cards to be available online as the profile cards are all readily available.  It might push sales down a bit, but they make warband construction a lot smoother if you know what they do.

Ret-darkframboisier
Ret-darkframboisier's picture

- I'll second Lazarus, I hope we keep the metal in the game, for pretty much the same reasons.

- Eager for new factions (Minomotos are on their way!)

- A new edition, with updated books and background, and I'd also love to have the possibility to buy new slick factions cards (printing them is convenient, but I like quality, especially when a game doesn't need a tons a references.)

- I'd love to see a campaign mode (FatherknowsBest did great about that) with or without experience, but the idea of a slow growth campaign would kick butt

- Appart from that, I actually hope the game doesn't change too much! it's so nice as it is now! Well I'd still love to see a drunken style fighting monk :p

Wogshrog

-Updated rulebook and cards

-Some kind of app would be really nice

-New factions but not too fast, once a year is fine.

-Some official format for tournament

Wynter

Yes, a new edition of the rulebook please.

Other than that, as I'm still finding my feet in what is a great game, I'd only add keep up the good work :) 

Studio
Studio's picture

Great to hear from you and I'm happy to say we're working a fair few of the above points.

Keep em coming smiley

Kitsune
Hi,

I love the game, so no major change needed for me, just expanding what is in the rule book.

I would love a map of Jwar I could print for running campains

Getting the major and minor clans would be awesome; the Bear, eagle, horse, carp, wolf... all seem great, I can't wait to see some of them

Specially would love to see more lore,art and story, I think it helps bring the world to life and players more involved in the game. The lore and books around D&D, warhammer for instance is what I believe draws people in. 

Finally I'd love more Yokai for the temple, another Tanuki maybe animals too
Cheers

Grenoir

Most of my feedback has already been mentioned but top for me would be:

• Don't go plastic!
  • More stories and fluff (linked to campaigns would be an extra bonus)
  • Looking forward to Miyamoto Bear clan
farseerixirvost

QUOTE    "8.  I know that some people initially passed on Bushido because they thought the early models weren't that good based on the pictures.  Following their viewing in person, those same people loved the models, so some reshoots might be in order if not a repaint from the newer artists."

I'd second this except my experience was kind of the opposite. The oldest stuff looked OK to MEH painted and on the website/photos, but quickly dropped to MEH to NOPE in real life viewing. Ryu and Temple starters could use a resculpt. Maybe even as an excuse to make a 2 player starter out of it.  FWIW, I haven't and won't (but desperately want to) start a Ryu force until there's a new better looking starter.

I will also throw my hat in the ring for a 2nd Edition rules and card cleanup (both errata and errors like calling a skill one thing on the card and another in the book).

If I Live, I Will Kill You.
If I Die, You Are Forgiven.
Such Is The Rule Of Honor.

furios

I can just follow:

• a new rule book with more lore and all errata
  • news cards for all existing unit accoridng to new rules
  • campaign system

Thanks for this game and its future.

Satsumarai
Satsumarai's picture

Hi Odin.

The thing I would love to see most is some form of campaign system, with some character progression and some jeopardy such as injuries or capture thrown in there.

I think any campaign system would open the door to an almost endless raft of new, narrative scenarios where objectives were different for each warband. For example a rescue mission, or an area defence mission where one warband starts in a some with the aim of defending while the attacker must take the zone etc.

This kind of narrative play would possibly add some longevity to the game, and it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine GCT supporting this by releasing a new scenario every couple of months.

I think the current players all got pretty excited at the release of the blood brothers and the sworn sisters. These sub factions added a narrative element which many people enjoyed, while introducing new playstyles to almost every faction. Great idea, more of that please.

My last wish is for rules for multi level terrain (imagine a fort, or Bakemono cave with rickety walkways). Specifically rules for climbing and falling, which would make for some very interesting play.

Thanks for the game And for reaching out to the players.

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Echoing what many already said:

• Update the rulebook. The fluff is great apart from the Savage Wave story in the end imho. I´d rather have something about the larger world as ironically the game is set on the least important and farthest out province in a great empire.
  • A decent 2 player set. This is what kicked off Infinitys expansion. A game with massive rules bloat still. Bushido would do similar if done right as these rules are very tight in comparision.

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

Satsumarai
Satsumarai's picture

Hi Odin.

The thing I would love to see most is some form of campaign system, with some character progression and some jeopardy such as injuries or capture thrown in there.

I think any campaign system would open the door to an almost endless raft of new, narrative scenarios where objectives were different for each warband. For example a rescue mission, or an area defence mission where one warband starts in a some with the aim of defending while the attacker must take the zone etc.

This kind of narrative play would possibly add some longevity to the game, and it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine GCT supporting this by releasing a new scenario every couple of months.

I think the current players all got pretty excited at the release of the blood brothers and the sworn sisters. These sub factions added a narrative element which many people enjoyed, while introducing new playstyles to almost every faction. Great idea, more of that please.

My last wish is for rules for multi level terrain (imagine a fort, or Bakemono cave with rickety walkways). Specifically rules for climbing and falling, which would make for some very interesting play.

Thanks for the game And for reaching out to the players.

Satsumarai
Satsumarai's picture

I have a map given to me by the studio in jpeg format if you want. Drop me an e-mail

Kibbles

I'm looking at this from across the pond where Bushido does not have a large following so pinch of salt and all that.

1. Marketing, marketing, marketing.  There's no visibility of the game here in the US.  Your presence at Adepticon and GenCon was huge (especially Adepticon).  Now that has to be built upon.  Specifically sanctioned events run at those cons.  Not ad-hoc, but fully sanctioned with a play area.  Will the first year likely be a little rocky because of a lower playerbase?  Yes - but it will up your visibility to gamers immensely.  Everyone already knows there are a ton of mini games out there now so competing for gamer eyeballs and dollars is hard.  Getting games being played in front of people in a sanctioned way is one way to do that.  Heck, just get a table right next to GuildBall at Adepticon with some fancy banner to draw folks attention.

2. You guys spoke about this at Adepticon, but getting picked up by any of the big-three distributors here in the US would be huge.  I know it requires a packaging change but having stores able to get inventory from ACD, etc would make availability for players a LOT easier.

Ok - enough from the business side.

3. I'd love to see better pictures of the painted models.  The pink background sometimes obscures details.  I think a reshoot is in order and have a model gallery separate from the packaging art.

4. New rulebook - I'll second/third/fourth that comment.  Get all the errata in and be done with it.

5. A factional "hints and tips" highlight sheet would be nice.  Similar to what PP does in their rule/faction books and what Steamforged does.  Sometimes you pick up a faction and newer players can be overwhelmed trying to understand all the combos or what the faction's "go-to" is.  Just a few bullet points would be a great help for direction.

I really enjoy the game, the dice dynamic is really fun and forces you to really think through your activations so no complaints on gameplay, I'd just love to see some more effort on exposing people to the game.

Zabarr

Great idea for the thread. I echo the above sentiments about staying metal and a second edition.

I love the aesthetic and the style of minis for bushido, i think you guys have done an amazing job. I also think that we're starting to hit a ceiling on what we can do by purely sticking to the Japanese theme. I would absolutely love to see some foreigners come and visit the Juar isles. Portuguese traders with firearms and rapiers, Arab traders with scimitars and composite bows. I love the idea above with the native Americans. 

You guys do great art and sculpt awesome models. You have hands down the best melee system for a skirmish game. Let's take advantage of that and get a few different aesthetics going to appeal to a wider audience and give existing fans unique new factions. The current ones are awesome, but at the end of the day they can be quite similar, with different takes on samurai and ninjas.

michaelgellar
  1. 2nd edition of the rules. The core game is fantastic but list building and ability to expand feels a little rigid. In many ways this feels like the 1st edition of Malifaux, where the core system was great but couldn't scale. It would be great to see new or expanded rules for terrain, buildings, mounted (and/or larger) models.
  2. New cards with 2nd edition. Cards should have all the rules on them for easier reference.
  3. Two player starter set
  4. Expand beyond Jwar islands (or new entrants). Would be great to see a korean and/or chinese faction, a european faction (ie spanish/porteguese) and mercenary faction that could I think Samurai are awesome but their is sameness after awhile
  5. Sculpts have gotten better so keep that up!
  6. Two player starter set.

Scorpio
Scorpio's picture

Another vote for a second edition. There's not a lot of big changes needed, but it's getting to the point where we need consolidation and a little streamlining.

It wuold also be a good time to advance the storyline a litte with new fluff. Unlike others, I don't want to see too many foreign elements brought into the game. I like the 'far east' feel, and would rather see more of that than bringing in colonists or whatever. Maybe something like the mainland Chinese showing up, with a tough army with strange weapons. Another new faction could be a religious movement faction, sweeping up peasants under the eye of clerics showing strange new powers. Or simple remote islanders with primitive technology, but a strong affinity for water magic...

Zabarr

I'd also echo the distribution piece for North America. We're trying to grow the game here in BC, Canada and it's difficult  for people to even get minis. There's one store within a 500 mile radius that carries little stock. Everyone has to order online from the U.K., whether direct from GCT or from Wayland.

minoa

I've held off on this topic just because I was curious what other opinions would be thrown out. Plus I haven't played much lately due to my game group being busy with Shadows of Brimstone.

Points 1 and 2 might even contradict themselves. So here goes...

1. While I visit the forums daily, I haven't played much in the past year or so, couple games here and there. Having said that, the rules changes/ erratas etc have piled up and a new edition would be sweet. Let old players reacquaint themselves and bring in fresh players at the same time. Relating to that, I'd like to see rules trimmed up and streamlined. I'd also not like a bunch of new rules/systems, as others have suggested, just because "you can". Keep the game tight, quick, and friendly.

Here's where I'll contradict myself...

2. New campaign rules! Yeah, I said no new rules/systems but the was to the core gameplay. A light campaign/progression element would be the bees knees. Either map based or narrative with maybe currency, injuries, leveling up generic characters, etc. Nothing heavy just a little extra to keep track of who's winning and losing over a period of time. Again, keep it tight, quick, and friendly.

3. Players want metal only? I'm fine with that. Doesn't matter to me really but whatever.

4. No foreign warbands/factions. The Asian theme is the main draw for me and I'd not like that watered down. A model here or there that fits in with a theme or faction is totally fine.

5. An official warband builder/rules app. It's the future and the future is now.

6. And this is just for me, a drunk monk(s) in my STS. Yeah, throw the Temple a bone and add them to that faction if you must. Do me a solid and make it a duel release with a Master and student. Or even more thematic, make it 2 models who are each others nemesis. A North/South style who are always trying to prove who has the best style. Take it further with 1 being good and 1 being evil like in the movie, "Dance of the drunken mantis".

shirotora1979

I am going to have to agree with the Rulebook and card cleanup to make it a bit more clear and the pictures to look a bit more like the models.  Now on the model side of things I have a few ideas as a Japanese historian there are some parody style models I would love to see.  What i mean is mintures inspired by real people and hero's in lore.  

1.  Date Masamune.  He is the GREATEST (IMO) Samurai in history and one of the most decorated.  The one eyed dragon would be a GREAT samurai to add to the Prefectors as he should be able to go toe to toe with almost anything that ANYONE could throw at him.  And the legends surrounding him is also a great place to start the fluff (Such as when he removed his diseased eye in front of the enemy army to sound the attack is jus the stuff of legends...literally.).

2. Oda Nobunaga.  Ito anyone...or maybe the Cult would be a perfect fit for him..  If you need to know who he is then you just don't care about Japanese history.  

3. Mifune.   The name alone is a modern day legend who is indirectly responsible for the creation of Bushido the Game by brining Samurai cinima to america and his name in Samurai epics is as synomous with Samurai as John Wayne is to cowboys.

Just my two cents on SOME of the characters would love to see represented in the game.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Hi Odin, thanks for the opportunity to give feedback.

I agree that the first step should be the new edition. The game rules have evolved a lot, even prior to the New Dawn edition judging from how some of the rules are written, and the game is in a perfect place for a 2nd ed. as the rules have come to a good place and just need a lock down of the intents, as this will make the core rules more easily understood.
On that point I'd love to see the following tidied up in some way:

First, the melee rules could really use an action to split 'engaging' when moving into btb with an opponent from the 'in btb' rules as currently the 'in btb' melee rules can be misinterpreted as possible to walk out of melee to engage another model. This change would dramatically reduce the confusion around what is acceptable to declare in btb and should fit in with existing rules.

Secondly, a lot of traits/special attacks eye. interact with rolling to wound rules (toughness, durable, combo attack &etc.) but it is not made clear in the rules if multiple rolls trigger these rules or if all the to wound rolls count as one lump sum of wounding. As such it would be good to have clarity for if a trait is per attack or per wounding roll and this should be considered for any new attacks or traits.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to see a new war band whose ki feats are predominantly aura and pulse based as this doesn't exist really yet and would fit well with growl/howl/bellow style themes. I love how each faction has a defining characteristic that helps to inform the styles of how they play and interact with the overrule set so I'd like to see that continue when new factions are designed as it is what makes this the best table top skirmish battle game that I've played.

Finally, I'd like to see some new scenarios/rules released that give us new game play challenges for the tournaments.

Thanks for reading and giving us the opportunity to share our thoughts for the game.

Axiam

Memento

I wanted to first say that I'm relatively new to the game and this community. But I appreciate that you're taking the time to reach out and open up to feedback. We've started a small local group in my area and we're loving the game. And it's so great to see creators taking the time to survey the community.

If there's a 2nd Edition of the game, I'd love to see a more stringent pass of line editing for the prose pieces and deeper developmental editing for the ruleset. One example from the background that comes to mind is the frequent waffling back and forth between "Minamoto" and "Minimoto". Small things like that might seen nitpicky, but they add up. And they can diminish the quality of the overall product as well as pulling people out of the immersion in what is otherwise a rich narrative setting.

In a 2nd Edition, the ruleset could also be improved with a tighter developmental editing pass. As a newer player, it was a struggle to jump into Bushido because of the daunting number of traits and feats (or feats that when activated gave you traits). There's quite a bit of similar-sounding or overlapping terminology that can add confusion as well.

I don't mean this as a critique of the game sytem. I love Bushido and my time playing it has been some of the most rewarding skirmish-level miniature gaming I've exer experienced. Once the rules are internalized, Bushido plays quite smoothly. But what I'm trying to highlight is that the rules, as currently written, present challenges to newer players that might be avoided with a tighter editing pass.

An example of this that comes to mind is the sytax of certain mechanics. In this case Poison(X/Y) or Fire(X/Y). The rules are clear that the model gains "markers of value X, in a quantity equal to Y". But that's not how one would normally construct a sentence. It's far easier to say, "the model gains two Poison (1) tokens". 

Designing a 2nd Edition ruleset with a eye towards helping newer players internalized the rules would go a long way towards increasing the game's popularity and general outreach.

Thanks again for taking the time for this!

Memento

I wanted to first say that I'm relatively new to the game and this community. But I appreciate that you're taking the time to reach out and open up to feedback. We've started a small local group in my area and we're loving the game. And it's so great to see creators taking the time to survey the community.

If there's a 2nd Edition of the game, I'd love to see a more stringent pass of line editing for the prose pieces and deeper developmental editing for the ruleset. One example from the background that comes to mind is the frequent waffling back and forth between "Minamoto" and "Minimoto". Small things like that might seen nitpicky, but they add up. And they can diminish the quality of the overall product as well as pulling people out of the immersion in what is otherwise a rich narrative setting.

In a 2nd Edition, the ruleset could also be improved with a tighter developmental editing pass. As a newer player, it was a struggle to jump into Bushido because of the daunting number of traits and feats (or feats that when activated gave you traits). There's quite a bit of similar-sounding or overlapping terminology that can add confusion as well.

I don't mean this as a critique of the game sytem. I love Bushido and my time playing it has been some of the most rewarding skirmish-level miniature gaming I've exer experienced. Once the rules are internalized, Bushido plays quite smoothly. But what I'm trying to highlight is that the rules, as currently written, present challenges to newer players that might be avoided with a tighter editing pass.

An example of this that comes to mind is the sytax of certain mechanics. In this case Poison(X/Y) or Fire(X/Y). The rules are clear that the model gains "markers of value X, in a quantity equal to Y". But that's not how one would normally construct a sentence. It's far easier to say, "the model gains two Poison (1) tokens". 

Designing a 2nd Edition ruleset with a eye towards helping newer players internalized the rules would go a long way towards increasing the game's popularity and general outreach.

Thanks again for taking the time for this!

Raya

One thing Bushido desperately needs is more community support. Aside from the yearly tournament (in the UK at least), the game feels very neglected. As in, 'you've bought the models, that's it'. The game would really benefit from regular events to keep things alive and active.

Take D&D Attack Wing for example, there were monthly scenarios that your club could play through, with prizes for the winners, and at the end of the several month campaign, there was a grand prize for the ultimate winner. Something like this would be really nice for Bushido; it would encourage regular play and increase interest. Even if it's just online scenarios with cards for prizes, it would be a good thing to do.

------

Seconding the new edition of the rulebook. The old one has had lots of erratas, some of the rules are unclear, plus (as a pet peeve) there's quite a few spelling mistakes in there. I think we're really due for a new edition!

-----

Also as a Tengu player, I'd actually like some plastic models. The metal wings are way too heavy for their tiny joints, and I'm constantly having to repair my models. For features such as wings, maybe have those bits in plastic so they can actually be suitable for the joints?

farseerixirvost

Pretty much off-topic here, but I'd LOVE to see GCT do an RPG for Bushido. Use many of the existing mechanics from the TT game, even including minis for combat/map-based times (but still be very accessible by non-minis 'theater of the mind' RPG players).  There's some precedent in TT Game to RPG - Warmachine/Hordes > Iron Kingdoms RPG, and Wreck Age to name a few. Infinity to a lesser extent (since that RPG specifically does not deal with miniatures).

If I Live, I Will Kill You.
If I Die, You Are Forgiven.
Such Is The Rule Of Honor.

karajohn

I know some(or maybe all will disagree) but I would like an alternative victory condition inthe case of a tie, something like "in the case of a tie, the warband with the most/least models on the field wins". Also, while I am not sure how much would affect the gameplay , I would like  pre-measurement to be allowed.

rat of vengence

Hi, new to the forum (though I've read posts before) and relatively new to the game.

My thoughts;

I wouldn't know this game even exists other than a few fellas I game with regularly. No shop carries it I know of, no events I know of. Being all the way over in Australia is probably reason for that, but still, it's a great game that no-ones heard of.

Do you do anything to encourage people to run demos at game conventions and the like? I'm attending MOAB (one of the biggest Sydney games conventions) tomorrow, and as far as I know, no Bushido.

2nd Ed rules. The current ones have errata left right and centre, and many cards need replacing. I'm glad you guys are willing to change things for game balance, but it's getting a bit messy.

Contrary to what many might say, I'd suggest easing up on more factions/models/new feats until the player base has grown, it can be offputting to new players to find a game is overly crowded with rules/factions.

Glad to hear there'll be a 2 player starter box, this is a VERY good idea.

Hope that's helpful :)

RoV

vinsal

I'll just piggy back a few earlier comments.

New rulebook

New cards

Don't care about model material as long as the level of detail is maintained.  I've seen plenty of gorgeous plastics, resins, etc.

I'd echo an earlier comment and also hope the themse stays asian, no need for european flavor, plenty of other games have that already.

Clearer wording for new players ie. blood or Orichi poison markers, as pointed out by Memento.  That took a while for me to wrap my head around as a new player.  :)

Love the game, I'd hope there are no huge changes.  Just a few tweaks here and there

Ret-Magnus

So much goodness above and I agree with so much (including the Tengu wing nightmare, maybe resin wings?).

What I'd love to see is more scenario options, more chances to score, or even tiered scoring, something that makes playing out the last two turns viable even if you're down 0-2. I'm sure lots of folks know what I mean. Maybe something like Dark Age that uses a separate card deck with secondary objectives, or Malifaux with the schemes and strategy options, not looking for the exact same game but something to spice up the game some. 

And finally a few resculpts would be more than welcome, I for one would be happy to support GCT and replace some of the older models.

Neajul

My only main wish would be more narrative style box sets. I love the narrative behind the last release and maybe you guys could adopt an Infinity style Dire Foes box set that has two rival factions within that drives the narrative of the game forward plus a scenario based on that narrative. (A shiho vs Takashi or Jung vs Carp clan box set for example)

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

There's a lot of converging views here.

in order of importance...

1. New rulebook, which is needed for..

2. Two player starter set

3. Warband builder (a web designer should be able to put this together for a small fee)

The warband builder will drive model sales and help tournaments.

well done for asking GCT!

Scutarii

I'd love to see new 'experienced' versions of the existing charcaters we already have.

Add in some more story for them and have versions where...I dunno...Yumi has lost an arm in a fight and learned new mystical kung fu lessons from it so the same characters can evolve and grow (keeping both the inexperienced version and the experienced version as valid and useable just not at the same time).

Adds some story and growth to the setting whilst adding in more options and ways of using your existing models and/or new models.

Zabarr

I strongly believe that sticking to the Asian aesthetic will keep the player base limited. One of the reasons that infinity was able to become so successful is the rich faction variety that provides varying aesthetics that a huge swath of the population can get into. Everyone can relate to at least one faction.

I was reluctant to get into bushido for this very reason. I fell in love with the rules first, the minis second. I obviously love the game, I'm trying to grow the player base here in the region, but it wasn't quite love at first sight.

Studio
Studio's picture

Thanks again for the input, we appreciate it.

Ret-WarhawkX

I was waiting to see everyone else's input before I chimed in.

And alot of the feedback has been roughly targeting the same couple of areas.

The 2 things I wanna touch on are to make the game more competative and open it up to the wider audience of tabletop gamers in a way I don't think was addressed in other posts.

#1. With the new rules include rules for larger games and point values on a 3x3 board.

Why this? Why is this going to help the game grow? It's simple, Bushido on a table doesn't look like a serious game to most people who play larger scale games. It's small and there's a low model count, so anyone passing by a table of a game in progress may have no reason to ask about it beause the size of the game is so small. I still say support the 2x2 format, but with a new rules edition is the perfect time for an "Alternate" rules set that would allow the story to grow and the conflicts within the Jwar Isles to escalate to match that. Additional rules could include things like 2 of a non character card, allowing up to 4 of a given model.

#2 Ties in with number one in some aspects. The game doesn't have a very dedicatedly widespread competative community. That should be a goal of GCT (Selling models aside) it keeps players active. To do that there needs to be a revamp of the competative tournament packet. For one, random scenario should be included in a dice roll table that the TO can use. Secondly scenarios should be unique, not copy paste based on if objectives go back to neutral. These changes allow players to practice their factions in the worst scenarios for competition, and in the best of scenarios. Additionally it might not be a bad idea to consider going to a 2 list system. Bushido has a problem with models solving 1 issue, but bringing multible solutions in a 50 point list is somewhat problematic. To lose in a tournament because you couldn't bring the one peice you needed to solve one problem match is a frustrating situation for any competative player.

I hope these ideas are something GCT will consider even though the thread stopped humming.

I believe both of these in addition with the 2 player starter and growing the community will make Bushido a popular and competative wargame.

Ret-WarhawkX

Oh one more thing... plastic is something people will not budge on. Going from metal to bad plastic, to good plastic is what every gaming company has done so far. So skip the mistake, and if you are going to plastic go to injection mold PVC right away, and just make new sculpts that are bigger and more detailed to make up for the change.

Ret-darkframboisier

My gosh warhawk, about everything you wished for Bushido is what made me leave the other games for it... Maybe you should find all that in warmachine and let bushido be something else, please, this kind of of heavy tourney list-oriented games exist, there plenty out there, there's almost only that. Let something different exist...

Ret-Fleafa
Ret-Fleafa's picture

I disagree with almost everything which Warhawk has said. Bushido's future should not lie in making it more like other games, but in exploiting the niche it already occupies. One of its strengths is the small format. Why compete with Guild Ball and Malifaux?
That said, I'd like to see more tournaments/events run by the community.

Ret-darkframboisier

I'll second fleafa

Memento

Chiming in again, as a newer player.

I respect where Warhawk is coming from. But the reason I got into Bushido was that it wasn't like any other tournament game out there. There are already a plethora of hyper-competitive 3x3' games in the market. Why should GCT try to compete for attention in a crowded market rather than, as Fleafa says, exploit the niche it's already successful in?

There are pros and cons of wargames with hyper-competitive communities. Sure, games like Warmahordes  get a lot of attention and players. But the community around it diverges sharpy with the community for a game like Bushido. Just look at the tables and models. Your average Warmahordes tournament 3x3' consists of armies of bare metal or just-primed models and features flat, 2D terrain. In contrast, I've yet to play a Bushido game that didn't have fully painted models, beautiful terrain pieces, and real care and craft for the immersion element of the wargame. The strengh of Bushido comes from its tight design as a micro-skirmish. The push-pull tired/exhaust system makes it truely unique amongst other wargames. And I feel like a scale up would cause it to lose this charm.

I'm not saying that the tournament pack couldn't use a re-vamp. New missions are always great. And main/sideboard list building rules would make for some neat pre-game options. But there's nothing stopping you (as a player or a TO) from running homebrew 3x3' table rules or games larger than 50 rice, or adding these twists. I say let the game grow organically with its strengths, rather than try and shoehorn it into a space where it doesn't belong.

GCT Master Enos
GCT Master Enos's picture

Lets not respond to other players wishes as much as posting our own pet hopes.  We can all have different ideas and no two are entirely incompatible. 

Lets just use this for new suggestions and leave other peoples who differ from your own. 

Grand Master of Bushido (Smog Con '14)

MistakeNot
MistakeNot's picture

I want a female Temple Master because there still aren't any, and I want the sculptor or whoever was responsible for Hagane and the Grey Pilgrims necklines being sculpted so low to be fired/never contracted again. Maybe a resculpt.

The art doesn't have their neckline plunging to their navels so why the hell does it do that on the models?

Zabarr

That's a bit harsh! 

Crausse

As a player that has only started a few weeks ago, I am really glad to see that GCT is reaching out to the players for input.  At this point, my only issue has been having access to models (American player here) and the wide array of traits & poison rules.  These things have been some of the largest hurdles for me to overcome as a player, especially since I play with my 12 & 13 year old sons, so I'm learning from a rulebook instead of from a seasoned player.

I would like to add that I came across this game from the Team Covenant Demo that was run.  I wanted to throw that out there as to let you know how I was able to find the game.  My interest was further solidified by Guerilla Miniature Games on Youtube, so the possibility of further pushing the game through either of these entities might help gain momentum.

Lastly, I really just want to say that I love the theme and I love the fact that there isn't a set team you run for each faction.  Coming from Warmahordes, I felt that if I wasn't running a certain list, I wasn't able to get the most out of my team.  I really like the fact that with this I can play the models that I like and still be able to keep up. 

I'm very glad that I have found this game and I look forward to growing more with it.

Ashlian

Hello,

my main wishes would be:

1) new edition of the rules + rebalance all the models (preferably harcover or softcover book as well) + more lore + either faction books or model lists with rules and art per faction.

2) make 1 card pack per faction with all upgrades, moves, models.... etc. with updated rules/art design.

3) new faction (bears or cavalry)

4) reculpt of the earliest models

=> Basically I think it's time for bushido 2nd edition: all the errata/faq and cardpacks to rebalance certain models are just rediculous.

start from scratch with 1 book + 1 card pack for every faction

=> a bit like second edition Malifaux reboot, but please keep the "goofy/characterfull" design and metal.

TheD

Wishes.

1. Thematic mini themes within the factions for further customization. Something like a 1 rice card called "rivalry of three sibling" that gives iron mind to 2 included models and weak mind to 1 if the warband contains 1 samurai, 1 shugenja and 1 ashigaru.

2. A range of settings to add to the scenarios to provide alternative vps and conditions. Like raid at dawn. LoS is restricted to 6 inch for the first 3 turns and 1 alternative vp is available to the player who manages to move more than 50% of his/her remaining rice to his/her opponents side of the table first and before the end of turn 3. Another vp is available for the player who takes his/her opponent down to below 50% of his/her rice first and before the end of turn 3.

3. Stop trying to make female sculps sexy. It is annoying and serves no purpose.

4. Keep the game small scale. I love how it, compared to other games I have played, feels like playing a game of advanced chess. Keep the game within it's thematic niche. There are endless of variations available within it.

5. Grow the game. I do not know how but it is so good it just needs to grow.

TheD

Oh and

6. Alternative rule with randomized weather with small scale impact.

Windy - slight modifier to shooting.
Rainy - reduces effectiveness of fire slightly
Cloudy - makes camo slightly better
Snowing - reduces movement slightly
Thunderstorm - improves fear slightly
So forth.

TheD

Actually. I would compile wish 1, 2 and 6 into a thematic alternative rulebook the tells the story of a certain event with its own alternative settings, rules and such. Add thematic sections for every faction and their take on the event and voila. A new way to release an updated rulebook without giving anyone the feeling that they are buying the same book again.

Ret-WarhawkX

I want the game to grow in the US. In it's current state it will only be a "Side game" due to distribution and the fact that US players want to dig into something that has a wide range of options. To go to a 1 list tournament and straight lose because "Oops I played into the wrong faction" is not fun for anyone. Niche of Bushido or not, it's something that exists within Bushido as a problem already.

I'd like for the game to get more balanced in general, and to do that, you need tournaments. How do you expect tournaments to happen if no one plays the game other than a 24 man Salute tournament every year? Additionally I'd like my faction IE Ryu to get a buff, which GCT and everyone knows it needs.

Honestly if you want to continue to play the game as a niche side game and ignore tournaments that's up to you. How does it effect you if the game has an alternat 3"x3" format? How does it effect you if tournaments are multi list? How does any of my suggestions impair your ability to enjoy the gameplay of Bushido with your friends?

My answer... it doesnt... it never will... every option I made was to make a competative scene viable. At no point did I say I'm holding a gun to your head and telling you to use those rules. You want Bushido to be a niche gem, it is, but having a competative scene doesn't make the game worse.

Pages

yenohoney