Hopes, dreams and ideas for the future of Bushido

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
still-young

I feel like some of the earlier models could benefit from being resculpted. The newer sculpts are great, and the older ones just don’t match, in my opinion. 

I also second the idea of an updated rulebook. I haven’t actually bought the rulebook yet because I have a niggly feeling that I’ll buy it and a new one will be released soon after. 

I don’t want to see PVC models either. Resin is fine, to keep weight/cost down. But I try to avoid PVC models, mainly because they’re a pain to clean. 

Ive heard a two player starter is in the works which is great, looking forward to that. 

Gorbad

Id like to see the game become a little less cluttered with tokens. We got ki, states, any effects, etc. All cluttering the table. I'd love to see a couple of tick boxes on the card to denote if your tired or exhausted. Similarly could we have a ki bar we could fill? Would make it simpler to keep track and produce less clutter.

I'd also quite like to see poison (and fire, etc.) be simplified. The system where tokens can intensify at the end of the turn is cool in theory,but clunky and rarely matters. For that matter I'd be quite happy to get rid of the varied strength of conditions and just have poison do X, no more levels of it. You could still stack multiple tokens of it if you wanted to I suppose.

Maybe make 1's slightly less punishing? Especially for low dice models rolling all 1s is not that unlikely and just bones you. Just letting it count as a 1 instead of a 0 still makes it bad just slightly less so.

Keep an eye on model count. One of the cool things about Bushido is the low model count but it can sometimes feel like the best idea is just to get as many models on the table as possible.

More Ki manipulation, preferably in different ways. Just like the Cult can cut themselves(and others) for Ki and Silver moon can gamble with theirs, maybe Ito can channel Oratchis favour into some sort of Ki manipulation, etc. It shouldn't be easy to power up your models but it would be cool if there were more thematic ways of interacting with Ki.

I really like the Ronin models we have received so far. More interesting individuals via that route could be cool. It could maybe even go along with another theme or two for each faction?

Also personally I'd quite like to see the game go to premeasuring. I can judge distance just fine, but I feel it leads to cleaner game play and more focus on tactical decision making than looking at the board trying to make sure you are in range. That's just never felt like it added any fun to the game.

Oh, when it comes to models. Hard plastic like GW or Malifaux would be great (just fewer tiny fiddly bits than Malifaux!) but that might be a stretch. But I have no fondness for metal models and would quite like to see them go away.

I'm sure I had another couple of points, but that's all I can remember right now.

Kitsune

Wouldn't mind to see Kodama yokai for temple but I reckon they'd fit well with the bear clan 

vanderhagast

Hey there:

these are my thoughts.

1. As many have mentioned, an updated rulebook would be of great help, even an updated, living, electronic document would help (its the easiest way to correct and implement the inevitable errata).

2. Alternate profiles: while you have already included some in the card packs, I mean not just a different profile for the same miniature, but also a more (or less) experienced version of the same miniature. For example: Mo Ises before he joined Yurei, a more powerful version of Kato (but more possessed by the spirit), a few monks learning new techniques, etc.

3. Equipment cards: another option is to have a pack of equipment cards costing X rice, that can be added to certain profiles to give them, for example, +X in melee, weapon profiles, or X ability (with limitations on who can use them). I guess they would be part of the card packs.

'A weak soldier helps no one but his opponent.'

MI

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

I would love a new version of the rulebook as there has been many errata now and it does need a general tidy, even if you are not going to print it a pdf would be muchly appreciated and also help new players so is win win, also we get more lore which is a must the world is very rich and i think more could be made out of it.

Another thing i would like is a re balancing of the older models cards some factions (temple i am looking at you) have some amazing new cards that are far more cost effective than the older ones. Yuuki is amazing and on of the best 8 rice miniatures in the game why would you not take her. itsunagi (form the ito) is so underpowered for his 13 rice that i dont see why you would take him.  i wouldnt mind if you had to buy the rebalanced packs as long as there were not too much of course  (while on that subject bring back the full colour faction cards they looked amazing and i would happily pay for them as well)

I like the idea of changing poison, fire and bleed as essentially they are the same, throw some other effects in there. Models that cause bleed become frenzied and gain melee dice or strength, poison slowing you down so you start tired for the next turn all have good thematic in game effects and are not just extra damage which is essentially dull. or have them all have the same rules. fire, poison, bleed all do 1 point of damage in the end phase and remove 1 token (dull but essentially what it does not and a lot more streamlined) 

Veteren models (like warmahords) i would like to see some miniatures have a veteren profile (possibly alt sculpt) an older grown up taka who is now 12 rice yes please same as some of the other lower cost profiles takeiji that challenges masunagi to become the new enforce of the ito. Gengo who lives up to his story and is a scary 8 rice butcher. the possibilities are endless for these 

I personally would hate to see pre measuring in the game i feel it takes a lot away from the feeling of hope and elation if your just in range (or dispair if your out) and pre measuring take some of the fun away, 

also a new website, this one is fine but nothing pops out and looks awesome you have some epic artwork show it off more also a newer site would make the store better (i know that would prob cost the most but its something i would like to see)

i would like more scenarios and possibly large beasts (a prefecture hunt against a 35 rice monster (non factioned) or the cults newest summoned yokai (50 rice) goes wild and attacks a nearby oni camp these single miniatures dont need to be competative for tournaments as they would lack activations for scenarios or just not be able to do scenario objectives but with specific missions that they are playable in. and could possibly recruit some creatures (rats, dogs, shatai or burakumin)

another thing thats more of a pet peve but the whole within or completely within issue i dont know how it become a thing but within and completely within are the same thing and for simplicity sakes i would like the game to have all movements be completely within. a model moves upto 1 inch cool he is an inch away from where he was, if he is placed 1" he should still only be an inch away but can now be behind another miniature or out of LOS. none of the "cards says within not completely within so i am moving oven an inch so part of my base is within the area bullshit (because that in not within look up the definition). when you design the miniature if you want it to move further give it a higher unit or distance 2"-3" rather than one 

i hope that helps i would be happy to elaborate if needed

sorry for the massive wall of txt

Sgnappa

I only have 2 games of Bushido since now.

But me and my opponent look across lot of games before choose it.

So, my toughts:

1) Model quality.

I hope Bushido remain in his high standard. I don’t really like so much the models of the wave 38 (but maybe it’s just me), it seems they lack of personality.

Maybe this is not true, maybe not every model in the game encounter my approvation, but please: remain high!

2) Better Pictures.

The models are amazingly painted, but I see the best when I had them in my hands. Some 3d pictures, because the models really shine when you understand how the sculpt is tridimensional, not only the detail but the pose are perferct. I would had choose this game time ago instead of today.

3) Less Tokens.

In the last game whe have Ki, Prayer Tokens, Victory Points, Run tokens, Prone tokens, Controlled tokens, Poison tokens… ther are lot of tokens.

I suggest to simplify some effects like poison or fire, something like giving X tokens (not numbered) and remove X/2 (rounded up) at the end of each turn. Having unnumbered tokens would simplify.

Next, in the Scenario page would be good a half page that helps you to get trace of what happens: for example, in the Idols scenario would be good a turn counter with “what to do” next to every turn, a pool of Prayer tokens for each phase and a VP counter. Something that you can print and use with a simple pen, just for that game. The best soulution to me it’s to have a scenario card for each player: which turn is, what happens, how many tokens you have, haw many scenario points and victory points.

4) Living Rulebook

There are not so many page of rules. I know it’s expensive to have something graphically good, but I think that there should be an updated rulebook and profiles online, because playing with wrong rules could be ruin your game experience.

5) Facoltative Randomness.

To it’s seems a little “chessy” game when the first two turn you exactly what you can expect from every model. Most of models are quick enough to make the battle fluid, without losing because you have position it in a wrong way.

But, I’d like to have some “narrative scenarios”: an ambush, a duel, something that would be correlated to the background like a fight with two sworn enemies that makes Bushido “live” not only as a tactical game but as a narrative game.

6) Multiplayer & Narrative Scenarios

Almost all the miniature games propose balanced scenarios for 2 players.

But.. what if we are 3 players? What if we are 4 but only with one table? Some scenarios could be interesting to play, like a 3 samurai duel, two little bands that ally each other to face a strong enemy (but not really rely on each other), killing a huge beast or pass through a horde of enemies with your best fighters.

Some narrative scenarios, something simple to reproduce, like a night-ninja-murder, a duel between two swordsmen (just to play a demo game, for example), or something that allows you to deepen the past of a character. Maybe a campaign – not necessarily with XP and prolongued effects – but something that tells a story to the player.

Wogshrog

undead_ichi wrote:

Another thing i would like is a re balancing of the older models cards some factions (temple i am looking at you) have some amazing new cards that are far more cost effective than the older ones. Yuuki is amazing and on of the best 8 rice miniatures in the game why would you not take her

That's so true, one of the things I liked about the game when I started was that every model sounded appealing, they all provided something unique and that was really nice. Some of the newer models tend to be more powerfull than the old ones and I feel that I have to play them to win. Also I don't like generic models too much they don't offer choices just model count and swarming is sad..

Meavar
Meavar's picture

Personally I love swarming.

And while I like the special rules from the named characters, from a narrative aspect I actually dislike them.

Not only can I not make up to much of my own lore about them, I killed Kato around 20 times. For a normal unnamed guy to die is not much of a problem, another can step in his place and once or twice he can make a miraculous recovery/ escape and survive. Although for a named person you know you will meat again and again it feels a little bit strange when doing narrative games.

Also my girl really loves the VIM based scenario's so more of those (possible even with multiple VIMs) would be great as well.

Meavar

Mecha Ace
Mecha Ace's picture

Bit of a long time player, irregular poster. The few things I'd like to see.

1) Reprint of the rulebook, tightening up any rules, and an expansion of the fluff, even if it's an advancement of the timeline, detailing the struggle of the Dragon to retain control and what else is happening.

2) Card packs for each faction, updated for the errata. I don't mind printing stuff out, but I prefer proper cardstock cards when playing games.

3) More narrative events, whether they take the form of an organised event, or whether they take the form of buy this pack which gives you a little bit of scenery, and a couple of scenarios to play using it. Whether they are for everybody, or whether it's a bit like the opposing forces boxes Infinity did, with little character models for two factions, and a neutral objective character.

4) Pure wishlisting now, but moving the conflict up in scale, so maybe have small units similar to something like Test of Honour, with heroes, and little 3 man units of ashigaru type thing, up to something like 20 models a side. Obviously as a separate game.

"The only true test of courage is the last one."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/g3gamers/

Sgnappa

This.

3) More narrative events, whether they take the form of an organised event, or whether they take the form of buy this pack which gives you a little bit of scenery, and a couple of scenarios to play using it. Whether they are for everybody, or whether it's a bit like the opposing forces boxes Infinity did, with little character models for two factions, and a neutral objective character.

While the game itself works good, I always like some little scenarios/campaign, some fluff, that throws the players into the "world" instead of only calculate the best list to win scenarios.

I think that's the real advantage of a miniature game: you don't only visualize the characters and battlefield by the modelling part of the game, but you can also "role" your favourite character against the odds of a disperate/personal fight, immerging yourself into the narrative. If someone out there had already seen the 1st Escalation expansion for warmachine, there is a little scenario for every warcaster (=character) that describe a part of a story, personal objectives and requires only 30' to be played. Or something like the "adventures" in Confrontation... the idea was awesome!

kristophkoniczek

Really want to commend GOT for am excellent game and fertile setting.
I'd hope for a beasts of war week, new updates rule book- one which moves the narrative forward at that.
Bushido 2.0?
Minamoto clan, cuz I have a striking need for tetsubo armed samurai in my life.
Keep doing the good stuff and hopefully a good distributor in Canada. Access and marketing are hugely important for long term presence and growth.

Quick is the blade, sharp is the word

skydancer

UPDATED RULEBOOK and CARDS (instead of those ERRATA proliferation)

at least in PDF.

Would be nice to have some profile get balanced with updated printable pdf card.

Grauenacht
Grauenacht's picture

+1 for updated profile cards, I prefer to print them myself and laminate them so I have all info on one side without having to flip them. but printing them and having to search through the errata is the only annoying thing about this game.

Wolf of Winter
Wolf of Winter's picture

I've still yet to play a game (though I've started building my board!!!) but I'd like to see some supplements on the factions (I hate to use the codex example, but I guess it's the best), so that we can really dig deep on the characters, get some background and some history on the Jwar isles. Throw in some scenarios in each volume, and that would be great! 

The rule book is superb, and the art is great, but I feel like it's generally a quick overview of the setting before getting stuck into the rules. it's pretty obvious that it is a very rich 'universe', i'd really like to see it explored, and learn a little more about who's who, and the struggle for power.

www.whencannonsfade.net - Blog of Things

toastedoak

I'd like to see far more ease-of-access to the game/model range for US Bushido players from local US stores.  Communities don't develop unless the stores that support us by giving us space to play, let us post on their Facebook pages and support our events... have a way of getting the product wholesale and can make a bit of a profit selling it..  No local suppliers makes the chance of any significant US presence of Bushido a near impossibility.

Get with the times GCT.  Other US games suppliers have figured out how to access the US market... you can too!  :)

toastedoak

Lots of bad English in that previous post... sorry.  You get the idea.

Vagabond

I’ve been buying Bushido models since the beginning & this is one tough game to get to the table. People I demo it to just glaze over looking at the cards. I’d suggest a second edition to simplify the game some. There are too many abilities; Traits, Feats, Special attacks & defenses and Unique effects. There’s just too much info to try to get them to want to play again. The idea of having slightly larger armies (with less abilities) like test of honor would be awesome. 

MeeJosh

s a new player who really likes the system and wants to introduce others to it, please please please put all the ability and keyword text on cards. I shouldn’t have to consult the rulebook six times to figure out what a model does.

I really like what I’ve played of the game but every time I think about playing it my heart sinks a little when I go to make a list and see a bunch of key words I don’t know the meaning of.

An army builder app/site would be great too.

still-young

I don't like the idea of having larger forces. The skirmish size is the perfect size for me. 

Pheonix91

1) I would love to see the story progress, actual battles taking place between clans, Heros from different sides interacting with each other. I love everything that has been built up so far but it almost feels like the clans are frozen in time at the moment which makes it hard to convince my friends (lore buffs) to invest. This would also lead into some cool narritive events/campaigns.

2) I feel the company would benefit from a redo of the website. Feels a bit clunky at the moment and dosen't showcase what makes this game so great. The world of Bushido has so much flavour and should be expressed on here :). Bushido is an amazing game and I feel more people would jump on board if you show them the light.

Aldebarankyo
Aldebarankyo's picture

The game is excellent, i love Bushido the game, I currently enjoy it very much. Some things I would recommend is an update to the rules with errata. A campaign mode with a narrative component. Some miniatures (the first ones) require a re-sculpting to be at the level of the new miniatures, which are excellent. I have seen that each time Bushido the game are in more countries, although there is a greater diffusion of the game I agree with Lazarus01, it is important more promotional impulse.

if possible, also launching a rule book with background in other languages such as Spanish, a book in physics.

Perform by GCT Bushido tutorials with the rules of Bushido, from the basic to the most complex as the style of play of each faction and tactics and with subtitles in English, Spanish, German, French. That is to say that people of other languages do not have difficulty to know the game. I think the platform that could help is Youtube. I am Spanish speaking and I would like to have help and tutorials in Spanish.

I would like that there were more distributors of the game in the United States, I know 4 distributors: Nobleman Knight game, Game Kastle Fantization Miniatures and Amazón in the two first ones is where I generally buy my miniatures. Please that the miniatures continue in metal, Corvus Belli has demonstrated that this to be possible. Please not pre measurement, that would change completely the game, the enjoyment of the game and the diversion. Finally I want to thank them why it is an excellent game.

furios

I just want to add my voices against changing scale. th e skirmsih scale is what drive me into Bushido.
I think the flavor of the game is in this scale with only few model but strong dynamic rules to have a good and exiting  game.

saravia

I'm just getting started with this game and I would have loved a 2 player starter box to be my first purchase

Pages