What birds should I use for reference while painting my tengu

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
gdelo538
What birds should I use for reference while painting my tengu

I want to use pictures of real birds for reference/starting point for my tengu. I'm wondering what birds would be the right ones to use. I've seen references to certain minis being eagles and others sparrows,I think, but I can't find it again.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

The references to what type of bird the Tengu are related to are in the blurb texts for the early releases, they're mostly just the Japanese names for birds though.

The Suzume are sparrows.  These are the Zephyr Guard and Blue Gale Scouts.

Haiatake are hawks I think.  These are the medium sized models like Kotenbo and Jirobo.  I couldn't find a direct translation for it "haiatake" though, as the Japanese word for "hawk" is taka.

Kurama tengu are based on eagles or other large raptors.  The name is taken from Mount Kurama in Japan, where Sojobo taught a few people martial arts. Buzenbo and Hokibo are kurama Tengu.

Karasu are crows.  Sanjakubo is one of the older ones and totally not a skeksis.

Koroko are owls.  Ryuhobo and Naigubu.  I like that Naigubu has the title "Father of Mountains" even though he's godawful on the table.

The Kuren are cranes, and are supposed to be rare and bad omens, Hakzabo is a black kuren.

gdelo538

Thanks, I either missed that, forgot, or didn't connect it.

yenohoney