Lists, tactics and general rantings!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-JamesHasker09's picture
Ret-JamesHasker09
Lists, tactics and general rantings!

so guys lets kick this off :)
Now that the cards for the first wave of Tengu are out what do we think?
Anyone got any lists up and going? Ofcourse I know early days without cards but can't mean you can't proud a game without them!
I think hoteis coin (correct spelling) on sanjakubo is legit! So he needed to get those stuns out. With only 3 dice a 1 can be the difference between hitting and missing! Specially if you keep him at the medium range distance away from enemies. I think him and tarobo will be my auto includes because the are awesome!
And ofcourse taliriktug aka 'tug man' as its easier to say :,) so far best tribesmen out yet:)
Looking forward to seeing what the other tribes people do!

MistakeNot's picture
MistakeNot

Buzenbo
Ryuhobo
2 Zephyr Guards
Tarobo
Taliriktug
Nuniq

That comes out to 50 points, 7 models. Hotei's anything is amazing at all times but the Coin would suit Buzenbo as well if there were points for it; as it is this list will have to play cautiously and use so many Snares to gain an early VP advantage. Only Tali (hah) hits hard, though he does that very well, while Buzenbo and Tarobo shoot at any exposed targets. Might have trouble against heavy melee warbands since there aren't any proper bricks in the list.

Ret-MattT's picture
Ret-MattT

Tactical note emerging from test games: Disengage is very good when you are flying. Forget the old Bushido game of two lines fighting abreast. Tengu will not stay in place, but come me from all directions. 

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!
Ret-A_Palmer's picture
Ret-A_Palmer

I'm thinking of trying out a Shepherds of White Mesa warband for now.  I really like the Wind Watchers theme but more Tengu Decension profiles need to be released first - I need a few top end melee hitters to really make that theme work, along with some birds (no idea if these are going to be giant roc-sized birds or shimogamo viper/fire kami sort of things or even sutengu.)

Sojobo the Exile
Sanjakubo
Tarobo
Taliriktug
+Vial of Raijin's Breath
Nuniq
Zephyr Guard (might upgrade him to Zenkibo, a bit on the fence about this one)
Kami of the Strong West Wind

Deflection
Fujin's Breath

I'm a little worried about the warband's hitting power, and it lacks the sheer trickery I can get from my Ito Clan shisai/shugenja warbands, but I'm not going to discover those without at least trying it out for a bit.

Ret-JamesHasker09

I don't think the Tengu as a faction will be hard hitting but I think with
Thier access to stun they should be good at being defensive and aggressive when it's needed.
I also love the shepherd theme my list is

Sojobo
Tarobo
Tug man (can't pronounce his name so it's what I call him)
Sanjakubo with hotais coin
Tribesman
Zenkibo
Earth kami
wind kami :)

I think it has a decent model count that should hopefully outnumber some lists and earth kami can easy play hold up whilst a model turns idols etc
Sanjakubo I feel needs hotais coin. His main function his shoot and putting stuns on models, to keep him safe at a distance you want to be aiming for medium range band. And with with rajins rage is still a 5. So to at least get stuns out you need a success 0 so that's a 3 on one dice and 2+ on the other two but if you roll a 1 and low results on other dice he isn't gonna do anything so I'd rather pay the point to make sure he does his job correctly :p

Grand Master 2016

Ret-A_Palmer's picture
Ret-A_Palmer

I tried out my White Mesa warband tonight (just home from it actually) and holy moly.  You can very quickly stack up stun tokens on key enemy models with Tarobo and Sanjakubo working together, though you do end up placing Sanjakubo in some really risky places sometimes.  My initial concerns about hitting power were quickly thrown out the window simply due to superior positioning, such as flying behind Zuba, using a Push Defence to move him close to my warband, then whacking him a few times with Tugman™ with the surprise.

Sojobo the Exile: He's just... I'd say he's probably broken for his rice cost.  If someone isn't screwing with your dice, he's pretty much untouchable once Aegis of Blades is thrown up.  I had him sat right in the middle of the enemy warband tonight and was completely unconcerned about his wellbeing.

Tarobo: an amazing hit and run model if you can keep casting Dash.  On turn 1 he can easily reach and interact with a midline objective if he uses Dash.  I just kept him at an objective, popping out to shoot and using Dash to move back behind the cover.  The targetted stun is pretty good too, I didn't really need the Sixth Sense in tonight's game.

Nuniq: a well timed snare completely screwed my opponent.  I really like her, though you're only going to get 3 snares across a full game.  You need to be aware of what would really screw with your opponent that turn, and the chances of that happening.  If you pull it off, prepare for the table-flipping rage.

Sanjakubo: the weak part of the warband, but when you want stun tokens to get thrown out, he's a good bet.  The Curse Fate is really luck-dependent, so don't expect it to do all that much, but when it does work, seize the opportunity (SL 6 vs Tenbatsu tonight and I managed to get Tugman™ into him - that was the end of Tenbatsu).

The other stuff pretty much does what they say on the tin: Taliriktug (Tugman™) just hits things very hard and deals well with high fear values, the Zephyr Guard is mobile and I used him to turn objectives.

The tengu are really good at getting into good positions, easily turning around enemy models for other models to get the surprise bonus.  It's really hard to hold them down since they can simply declare melees on models somewhere else and fly over there instead.

I did notice the warband could have really used a little channeling, but that's probably a throwback from my normal Ito Clan style of warband.  I might actually see if I can squeeze in Spiritual Harmony to the warband at some point - I'd probably take out Fujin's Breath.

Ret-JamesHasker09

Haha I yes my TugMan nickname is kicking off :p

Grand Master 2016

carados's picture
carados

I'm liking the sound of this playstyle they bring, it reminds me of the Drakes on Battle for Wesnoth.  Exchanging health and hitting power for defence and shenanigans.  Can't wait to use these guys.

The combination of stuns and surprise (and possibly exhausted) via flying over a stunned model and then pushing towards your other models sounds excellent.  Tugman is a good candidate for following that up with a big cleave attack, though the Zephyr Guard/Zenkibo have some merit with their armour piercing.

What the Tengu would have to be careful of is exposing their back for an enemy attack - this can be mitigated somewhat with Tarobo and his sixth sense, though that means you aren't putting a stun marker out.  Kotenbo doesn't sound like an easy model to get rid of with his push defence and Battle Hardened up along with Tarabo's support (though he invalidates White Mesa).  Sojobo is definitely the best at it, but with a cost to match.

Ret-JamesHasker09

This is true you might Ve leaving
Yourself open by flying past it just a case of Timing it correctly!
But I think Tengu at whe best for getting for pesky support models kept at the back and having a wall of warriors in front of them!

Grand Master 2016

Ret-MattT's picture
Ret-MattT

Listwise I´m at about

Sojobo

Sanjakubo

Taliriktug

Tarobo

Hill Tribesman

2x Zephyr

---

You don´t need heavy hitters when you have the potential 9(!) Stuns/turn to deal over Turns 2 and 3. The effect is the same. Tengu will be very nasty. Agree with James that Hotei´s Coin on Sanjakubo should be considered, as he is a star player.

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!
Ltsnowman's picture
Ltsnowman

I have a question about the white mesa theme.
The kami you're allowed to take, is it anything with the kami trait as long as it's cost 4?
Or is it just the ones with kami in their name, with obvious restrictions.
Thanks

Ret-Ruro's picture
Ret-Ruro

For the White Mesa it's pretty clearly written that you can take a one Kami (that means the Kami Type not simply things named as kamis) with a Rice Cost of 4 or less. You also can only take Kamis from your own faction (obviously) so for now only the Kami of the Eternal Earth and Kami of the Strong West Wind are eligable for the cards effect.

Ltsnowman's picture
Ltsnowman

Thanks for the answer. I'm new to the game and the kami included in the card pack were ro kan so that fact kinda confused me a little that's all.

Spugnoberto82

Hello, i'm a  new player too , talking about lists and ratings is the basic box a good starting point? Can it say something against others one? 
Thank you.

Ret-Ruro's picture
Ret-Ruro

The Starter Sets are a good starting point but can become redundant depending on what faction and your playstyle. If you want to get into the Tengu then you definetly need a Starter Set as it will provide you with a good chunk of models worth of 35 Rice and many of the starter sets models will be usefull for a long time I think (for example Tarobo is pretty mutch a great utility tool with his birds Stunning or giving others Sixth Sense).

After you played a couple of matches at 35 rice and learned the game you can boost your ranks with more stuff with the knowdledge of actually what you want from your warband.

Spugnoberto82

Thank you a lot :) 

Ret-A_Palmer's picture
Ret-A_Palmer

If you haven't got Qimmiq GO BUY HIM.  GO BUY HIM NOW.  He's an incredulously flexible support piece, he can pretty much solve most of your positioning problems.  Not only that, he can fight!  Le gasp!

Ret-A_Palmer's picture
Ret-A_Palmer

Kanut actually rounds of my White Mesa warband.  A little lacking in the 'do exciting stuff' department, but if you want solid and dependable it's the warband to go for.

Sojobo the Exile
Kanut
Qimmq
Taliriktug
Tarobo
2x Kami of your choice (recommend at least 1 air kami for the light footed buff).

Deflection
Another special card or two, take according to personal taste.  I usually give Taliriktug a Vial of Raijin's Breath.

Good vs: Fear, most models have bravery, fearless, or can gain Fear (5).  It's not amazing, but is solid regardless.
Bad vs: ... No one so far.

Lately I've been using a Hokibo/Wind Watchers warband and it makes people tear their hair out as nothing stays where it's supposed to and keeps appearing in strange places.  It uses a test profile at the moment, but it can work with Kotenbo, it's just not as good since he costs more and you lose the Fujin's Breath because of it - you may be able to position a Fujin's Idol for use on turn 2 though, I will have to test it with that.  I prefer this warband over the White Mesa one as it feels like I'm very much dictating when and where fighting will take place.

Hokibo
Kotenbo/Test Profile
Tarobo
Zephyr Guard x2
Air Kami
Earth Kami

Deflection
Fujin's Breath/Fujin's Idol

Good vs: everyone in a VIM scenario, there is literally no safe place on the board.  You need to be very aggressive and cunning in any 'take and hold' style of scenario.  
Bad vs: Fear, lots and lots of fear.  Only Hokibo gets around Fear.  It's a little vulnerable to offensive Ki feats but you can try to save the Deflection for the worst of them.

Nightvision

Thought this might be the best place to post these questions:

Which card pack is hotei’s coin?

Is the White Mesa theme still worth using now there’s no more free Kami?

Aemaru
Noob question : is it possible not to choose a theme ? And to hire sojobo as a ronin ?
The Purple Piper

Yes. Themes are optional, you don't have to pick one.

Yes (if you play a Descension warband, of course). Sojobo is a ronin, and as seen on his card, he can be recruted by 3 factions, including the Descension.

Aemaru
Last question why are there some different symbols for the cost (view as followed in the wiki) ? https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/u598.png https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/xw8i.png https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/ik5r.png
Aemaru
Last question why are there some different symbols for the cost (view as followed in the wiki) ? https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/u598.png https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/xw8i.png https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/ik5r.png
Aemaru
[url=https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/u598.png][img]https://zupimages.net/up/20/09/u598.png[/img][/url] [url=https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/xw8i.png][img]https://zupimages.net/up/20/09/xw8i.png[/img][/url] [url=https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/09/ik5r.png][img]https://zupimages.net/up/20/09/ik5r.png[/img][/url]
Aemaru
Sorry I can't edit or delete the posts :/ i can't post images but there is a golden rice symbol, a grey one, and a grey one with "ea" behind the cost number
Mcgreag

Gold is named characters, grey is generics and ea stands for each, used for generics with multiple damage tracks. It allows you to take up to as many as there are damage tracks at the cost of x rice each.

Sora9785

Also the gold symbol means, that models can be VIMs as they are unique models!

announcement
yenohoney