Prefecture Vs Temple, 55rice, Seigyo

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Malhorme
Malhorme's picture
Prefecture Vs Temple, 55rice, Seigyo

Hi all,

A battle report to celebrate the end of the work on my table! (the artifical water is now dry)

Prefecture (Joueur 1156)

Mizuchi

2 Spear Ashigarus

Hagane Takashi

Tenchi

Mikio the fat guy

Matsu Takashi

Temple (Malhorme)

Master Po

Riku

Kenko

Aiko

Guardian

Rice Farmer

Earth Kami

Air Kami

Fire Kami

Here was the deal. Joueur1156 prepared both lists, on a thematic base. Temple needed to have kamis, Prefecture must take the dragon.

Game strategy, by Malhorme

I hate having to face both Matsu and Mizuchi. Both can prone, and Matsu can shoot twice a turn, which makes her a kami-killing machine. So, unless I stike reaaaly fast, I'll spend my time putting back on their feets the prone minis... no talking of the domage!

Hagane, with combo strike, would also be very dangerous for my kamis.
Mizuchi would have to be managed quickly, Po is the best for this as he is fearless. However, as he has not jump up, he will need the rice farmer to join him, just to make sure he does not get prone.

Joueur is outnumbered : i will have to take advantage of it. When his minis will be engaged, I should have some left to take care of the objectives. Carefull however, my kamis cant, so that leave it to the rice farmer or Aiko.

So plan is : I need to strike realllllly fast, and pick my fights, before he can use too much his shoots. Oh, and manage a flying thing that causes fear and prones minis, and has a bunch a lifepoints.

Joueur will tell you how he planed the game after

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Game board, with explanation of terrain.

Deployment :

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Turn 1.

The Air kami gave a boost to the guardian, the earth kami to Riku.

Both groups went forward, with the exception of Aiko, who focused.

The guardin used his bonus to get in position behind the woods on the east, ignoring the difficult terrain.

Joueur had issues using Mizuchi, as he knew the fire kami was waiting for his mouvement to get closer and make him lose activations.

Finaly, Mizuchi landed near the remains of his group.

Matsu tried a long range shoot, as it was free, but missed.

The only real action occured when the Air kami got closer and shooted at an ashigaru. The poor fellow got shifted by the winds and ended in the middle of the paddy field. Good thing, he will need a full activation to get out of it :-). At this stage, i did not notice my biiig position mistake.

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Turn 2.

The fire kami give his bonus to Po, the earth kami to Riku

Oh my! As usual i lost the tactical rool, So joueur decided to start, and activated matsu. Crap, I was not expecting this one.

He aimed carefully at my air kami, used ki to prone him anddddd. Blast!

My mistake, i did not even notice the cover I could have used, that would probalby have save my kami.

Air kami is now prone, with one ki left... Not a nice start

Nevertheless, i follow my plan : po charrrges Mizuchi (and leaps above Mikio protecting him!). 

I use 6 ki to buy a die and Unblocable strike, Joueur buy only a dice and casts everything in defense... and rolls 6,5,2,2, so even with unblocable strike, he got 7!

I rool 7 as well in attack, so have a SL of 0. I get 8 on domage roll, but as I have +4 in strengh (+2 charge, +1 po skill and +1 kire bonus), the dragons loses 3 life points (reduce to 2) and takes one fire token. Not a bad move.

Joueur activates again Matsu and finishes the air kami, booohooo..

I then take my bet: the earth kami charges (and nearly get too short) and attack Mikio. Brillant move, as mikio takes 6 domage, thanks to horible dices!

Then Hagane came...

Then Hagane uses combo strike.

Then Hagane kills my earth kami (and take two wounds in the process).

Oh my, another kami...

I move Kenko closer to the battefield, while Joueur engages Po with his spear Ashigaru 2, wich forces Po to move back and liberates Mizuchi.

I then move the guardian closer, to threaten Mastu, but Joueur activate Tenchi, and protects Hagane and Mastu...

I use Aiko to give a bonus to Riku, and forget Mizuchi. Joueur does not and  prones the Guardian!

This is not sooo well engages, but i still have all my monks. Joueur's main concern at this stage is Mikio, who is nearly dead, but also had to exhaust his most dangerous miniatures

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Ok, so it is time for real action.

I activate Riku, use to movement bonus provides by Aiko, and kill what is left of Mikio.

At this stage, Joueur has the following:

- 1 activation on Hagane and Tenchi and Ashigaru 2

- 1 fresh ashigaru

- Exhausted Mizuchi and Matsu.

Therefore, he activates Ash1, and brings him closer.

I then trick Joueur, by activating Riku and engaging Hagane. He uses bodyguard and i fight Tenchi as expected (i wanted to fight the mini with the lowest MS).

I then buy dices, and use Push attack : I win, and push back Tenchi into Hagane : both minis are now prone!  (joueur, you should now this one, it was not the first time ;-)  )

What follows is a basic kill game :-)

Joueur saves hagane and put her back on her feet, I use Kenko to kill tenchi

He bring the last ashigaru closer to the objective, and I use the fire kami to surprise an exhausted Matsu, who rolls a 1 on her dice... goodby Matsu Takashi!

My remaing activations are used to get the guardin on his feets, and to take the objective my the rice farmer.

Turn 3 is fast

the Guardian slams the surpised Ashigaru 1, Kenko and Riku finishes Hagane while the fire kami sticks to Mizuchi, making lose his activations.

He has two ashigarus left, we decide to end the game here.

Final score : 3-0 for me

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Aftermatch

The men of the game (Malhorme opinion)

Well, definately Riku.

His nice use of Push attack, to push Tenchi in Hagane and get the two minis prone, changed the game.

What won the game

Joueur was forced to stay in a dense pack, as he has less mini than me. He played well, using his advantages (shooting) but did 3 mistakes.

The first one was in the use of Mizuchi. He would have been better on the far west, attracting at least Po and the farmer.

The second mistake was to forget Po has leap, and can jump above other minis.

The third was to use bodyguard against Riku : that allowed me to place the push attack.

On my side, I made 2 big mistakes.

I forgot to use faith with Po, as I could have bought 2 more dice. The fact that Joueur rolled a good defense score does not mean i was right not to put everything to kill Mizuchi.

I played to early the air kami, and placed him in the open, where he was an easy target for Matsu.

Matsu had not so many choices : Riku and Kenko have Jump up, Po had the farmer nearby, the guardian was under cover and far, and the earth kami is steady.

So the air kami was the only interesting target and i placed it right under her nose.

I was quite lucky with the earth kami charge as well, as mikio rolled a 1,1,2 in defense, while i rolled 6,5 in attack.!

A very nice game at the end, Joueur is a far more fair-player than me :-)

Ooops, I mixed Stun and Prone.

Of course, all miniatures where prone, none was stun!

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Very nice report! but 0 Seigyo here... ^^

Too different to our playstyle.

Bushido its not about Killing, its about Tactic.
Welcome to the Oriental-Fantasy-Fusion Game.
http://thetempleofbushido.wordpress.com

Joueur 1156
Joueur 1156's picture

The peasant take a Seigyo at turn 2, but malhorme didn't found that useful to notice. All my army was dead, I was gonna take a 3 - 0 :(

Greeny
Greeny's picture

good report, not much tactical maneuvring but a hell of a fight in the middle!

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Capture scenario objectives fast, so the enemy must spend more actions for win the VP, and then Defend. Defense is more important in bushido than Attack. Choosing the fights is also important.

And never surrend! And remember that if you take the turn two VictoryPoint, and before Turn 4 all your models died, the game ends, so you win ;)

The table is very cool, i want to see more reports like this :P

Joueur 1156
Joueur 1156's picture

It doesn't look fair to me. If all my model are dead, I can't say "too bad, you have no more opposition, hence you cannot control the objective no more". My opinion : winning doesn't mean you have made all the scenario stuff, but you're completly dead. If you can't stand one more turn, it's not really a win! It's hard to say it in english. Maybe Malhorme will explain that better for me...

I didn't want to move faster, because the wind kami could send me right surprised & exhausted => in a right place to take a charge when surprised & exhausted : autokill.

Thanks for the advice.

And I was really stuck because I made error on the deploiement. My bad : it was friday, I was tired, didn't know my list and didn't wanna overthink this game :)

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Joueur 1156 wrote:

It doesn't look fair to me. If all my model are dead, I can't say "too bad, you have no more opposition, hence you cannot control the objective no more". My opinion : winning doesn't mean you have made all the scenario stuff, but you're completly dead. If you can't stand one more turn, it's not really a win! It's hard to say it in english. Maybe Malhorme will explain that better for me...

Its for game balance. The killing is for Morale Victory, but VP are for Real Victory. See it like:

"You are defending 3 statues that channel Ki to Invoke and ancient and sacred power. If the enemy captures these statues, they will summon an horrible evil... you don't know how many time you need. Youre fighting against enemy warband, and youre losing all your men and women fighting, but the last survivor deffends the key statue just the time necesary to invoke the sacred power for your allies, negating the power to the enemies. All of your warband is dead, but you win."

Anyway have fun!

Joueur 1156
Joueur 1156's picture

Yes you can justify that, but that's just not my point of view :)

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Well actually, as joueur said, i did play the objectives.
This gale involved more fighting than usual, but it was part of the tactics.
Joueur had the shooting, i had not, and he had the minis good in defense!
So, i basicly prevented him from goiing any further with my charges (i never charge usually, but here did it). Doiing so, i traped his warband far from the game, and played the objective with thz farmer.

Would joueur have dispersed his troups more that the gale would have involves less fighting.
By the way, Artus, remember that you can not activate an objective if in the zoc or in btb with a fow: i had more flexible minis than him (2 minis at 6 of move, plus aiko that can give bonus): joueur would have NEVER scored anyhting if he had not reduce my numbers before.

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

My appologises, my first answer were stupid and i overreacted.
Very sorry for my harsh reaction and many thanks for your nice comment on the table.
Artus you are also a temple player: how would have you played the game?

Orochi
Orochi's picture

Nice write up Malhorme, I am happy to see a win for you and for Temple given our recent debates on Prefecture. :)

Joueur 1156
Joueur 1156's picture

@Orochi: as you can see, I didn't use any ashigaru synergy. I just wanna tried without. But I think that it's the last time at 55 rice!

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture
Orochi wrote:

Nice write up Malhorme, I am happy to see a win for you and for Temple given our recent debates on Prefecture. :)

"slap" i deserved it!
Thanks!

But indeed you would note that there was no CS ;-)

Orochi
Orochi's picture

Joueur 1156 wrote:

@Orochi: as you can see, I didn't use any ashigaru synergy. I just wanna tried without. But I think that it's the last time at 55 rice!

I did notice ;) 

As good as ashigaru are, I admit they are not as fun to play as the non ashigaru.  I will be using ashigaru less myself in weeks to come too.

Atrus
Atrus's picture

No need to apologize. That happens to me a lot >_< sometimes I look like a troll, but its not the intention. I understands you perfectly ;)

mmm in that game I would have been less aggressive, I guess. Although I see worked for you ^^ may be the solution against the Prefecture, which is the faction that gives more problems. Also I didn't played against Mizuchi yet, so maybe attack first to obligate him to choose where to go can be very useful tactic... Every game is unique so I don't know. The "0 Seigyo" was a mere comment. Its good to see how other people play and use the models/synergies etc. About the list, I liked it, seems very funny to play.

Do you have in mind to do more reports like this? Very visual, I loved it. (Remembered me to old White Dwarves Reports^^)

Joueur 1156
Joueur 1156's picture

Yeah sure. Malhorme has like ten or more battle report to do. The good part of that: he is thetered in my basement, and isn't allowed to eat until he paint / build board / write repport for me :)

Next time, the battle report will show an amazing win by the pref =O

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

very nice report many thanks

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Thanks! Well actually, i would have taken more pictures if my wife had not launched the offensive "i prepared everything for the super now you just need to end your game".
Soooo, we went fast!
But thanks for the comments!

Yes i will do more reports like these, promiss.
Joueur is now gone for a few months, but i will try to find other player

madadam

Great report.  I look forward to reading your future posts.  I really appreciate the detailed reports as it helps me learn the game.  The battle reports with just summaries are ok and all, but reports like this one where each move is so well detailed really helps me learn the intricacies of all the rules and strategies.  THANKS!

Henrix
Henrix's picture

Great report, Mal, and an awesome village! Looks like good fun!!

Aren't the objectives a little closer together than standard? Seem to be more like 4" from the middle.
It's not much, but it'd increase the risk for one big melee heap in the middle syndrome.

I follow the rules of bushido. I am a bushi.

Swedish players, rally to Hokuō Bushido!

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

Hi and thanks.
Nop, precisely 6" between the objectives.
My peasant received in the last turn a tocken from Aiko in orfer to be sure that a run would bring him in btb with the left objective.

The big melee was a consequence of Joueur's list, as he his shooters can do a lot of havock if i don't clear them early, and of his curious deployement.

ishibei
ishibei's picture

Very cool thanks for sharing