Malosi

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
minoa
Malosi

So I was literally just about to post some wishlisting for some new STS models and one of them was the champion of the jumo ring. To be honest, I was kinda bummed that he has a weapon. I would of thought he would fight with his bare hands. Still looking forward to this release though! What kind of rice cost would a jumo champion be? 10-12? I think a retainer should weigh in with some teasers!

Atrus's picture
Atrus

Malosi seems very cool. I will bet for 11 rice. Tautolu was already a brutal buto... >_< I guess armor piercing, and Battle cry ki feat maybe?

Can't wait to see the rest of the Wave concepts :)

Bushido its not about Killing, its about Tactic.
Welcome to the Oriental-Fantasy-Fusion Game.
http://thetempleofbushido.wordpress.com

minoa

i don't know about armor piercing, again, in the jumo ring I would of thought they would fight bare handed and only wearing their sumo underwear (whatever those are called) so they wouldn't have expierence piercing armor. But then again, he has a mace so...what do I know?! I couldn't find any feat called "battle cry". Did you mean "warcry"?

I know it will never happen but it would be sweet if Malosi was on a 50mm base and exaggerated in size. I'm thinking like the fat guy Kenshiro kicks to death in Fist of the North Star.

carados's picture
carados

The Buto already share the 10 wounds and Toughness of the Onis.  Hopefully he won't step on their shoes too much with lots of other common traits such as Brutal, Strong etc.

minoa

Well, he is here. What do you oyabuns think? To be honest, he turned out way different than what I thought he would of. Jumo isn't sumo but should be close. No weapons or armour, immoveable, a model mover, etc. Things you think a champion sumo wrestler would be good at... I don't think he's bad or anything just seems out of character to me. I'll pick him up and add him to my buto horde. My dream of fielding an all 40 mm base warband just got 1 step closer.

TheEveryMan

I think jumo basically is sumo. Figures like Manu, Mikio, and Oda (look at what a Jumo Instruction token lets you do) show this.

The other Buto models aren't just using their jumo skills is all. They're bringing weapons and armor to help out. Considering they work for a crime syndicate, this isn't a big stretch. If John Cena decided to work for the mob I'm sure he would carry a gun with him and not just go around suplexing people if a firefight broke out.

Ret-MattT's picture
Ret-MattT

I didn't see his worth first, but after realising how nasty an T1 Ordered Jumo tokened Malosi would be to anyone careless enough to have run up to the centre line I started to change my mind. A typical 3MS guy would be down to one die vs three on a AP Combo Strike with Brutal 2 on top. That's a bad start for anyone at the receiving end.

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!
minoa

That's exactly the way I've used all the buto, Ret-MattT. As I've said in another thread, any of them can blow up all but the most elite fighters in the early game. I will often charge a buto in just for the strength bonus in the early game. With a jumo token and strength bonus, they will destroy most models that get put a little too deep into enemy territory. Couple points:

1. If they don't out right kill the model, they will do damage often causing the player to play defensively to try to wait for their own back up to arrive allowing you to play more aggressively for an activation or 2.

2. Even if you totally whiff your dice, they can, with their wound pool, survive until you can get another model in the fight.

3.Add order, maneki-niko, iron fist gumi jumo token, special abilities, buto strength bonus, charging bonus, BRUTAL, any number of other cards, etc. and it is just extremely difficult for your opponent to get the upper hand on them.

I get your point about John Cena, TheEveryMan. But here's my point...He'd be way cooler if he WAS suplexing people!

Ret-MattT's picture
Ret-MattT

This is indeed good! You have been right in championing the Butos :-) Walking and then Charging after the Order is especially brilliant as that action so seldom is good.

A big take home message here is that T1 changes from being positioning to fighting. I'd say almost no one realises how dangerous doing the standard run to the middle ground could be. So, the factions with T1 Order ability or similar can do this. If you are up against that it basically means you can't reach the centre line without seriously exposing yourself. That's a major tactical advantage.

Ito could push up BoO'd Ashigarus through Satoshi. Imagine Saburo charging in with 2/2 Poison? Ouch!

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!
minoa

Order on butos is brutal. Any other faction that can order just order around grunts, we get to order our most equipped fighters. Your example of Ito might be the next best set up though. I'll use it to swarm fights, even if overkill to just end it and move on.

announcement