Updated manufacturer terrain list

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
minoa
Updated manufacturer terrain list

Hello there community. I've recently began the hunt for some new terrain for my tabletop...

When you google "28mm oriental terrain", not far from the top, you see a thread from this forum from 2011 with a couple companies listed. Well after digging around, I was pleasantly surprised to find some new stuff. So I decided I'd list what I found in some detail. I know I have missed a couple obscure companies because I didn't start taking notes until about 3 days into my search.

4grounds "Shogunate Japan" range - I own one of the bigger buildings, nice kit, scale is slightly small for Bushido but not too bad at all. They offer a good amount of products in the range, I just ordered their carts for some scatter terrain also.

Plast Craft "Fukei" range. Decent amount of products in this range. Most notably is their new "ColorEd" line of plastic/resin (I don't know the difference) kits. Pre-painted! I just ordered their dojo, the bigger torii, and bridge. Really looking forward to these kits. For pre painted, I was shocked at how cheap these were.

Sarissa Precision - Again, another surprise. I knew they had a decent range but it seems they really started putting out kits. They probably have the biggest selection of terrain on the list. Haven't seen any in person but I would expect the quality to match 4ground stuff as they are both laser cut mdf kits.

TT Combat - Another company that has recently put out laser cut mdf kits. Kiyomori stage (which I'll probably be picking up soon and which you can see in 1 of the recent videos on this site), oriental bridge and lanterns, torii, and small minka.

Oshiro - Was listed in the previous thread from 2011. Decent size range. I know nothing of the models.

John Jenkins Designs - Decent size range. I know nothing of the models.

Grand Manner - A torii gate, 2 buildings, and 3 yurts are offered in their range. I know nothing of the models.

Antenocitis Workshop - I believe they mostly make terrain for Infinity but 2 products in the line would work for Bushido. Asian walls/fencing and some lion statues.

Corsec Engineering - bridge

Pegasus Hobbies - stone/wood fencing

Wargames Terrain Workshop - UK company. I wanted to save this listing for last as I wanted to comment a little more on it. They have half a dozen or so products, most notably is cherry blossom trees! The only place on the internet I could find them. They also offer painting services of the products. Again, the only company I could find that offered that. I'm intrigued by this company and am considering getting all the items bundled together and painted. Shipping to the US is $30, not cheap. The products also look "scratch built", not sure if they are though. It doesn't really bother me because my painting sucks and I'd rather pay for a shitty paint job than do my own. From the pictures online, the painting looked sloppy at best.

Lastly, the 4ground and the new Plast Craft "ColorEd" stuff is "pre-painted" but they are just molded/cut from the colors. Wargames Terrain Workshop offer painting of their kits in any colors you like.

So there it is. If anyone has other companies (I know some miniature companies make a terrain piece or 2), let's get them listed so we can have the definitive terrain list going.

Disclaimer: I would have put links but I don't know how. If someone more savvy than me would make links, that would be sweet.

minoa

With some time to burn, I thought I'd give my thoughts on some of the items I got from the above list.

First up is the 4ground stuff.

Like I stated earlier, I have one of their buildings. I like it. Like the look, quality, the colors, and I really like the material they used for the roof. It's basically like the hair from those kids toys called Treasure Trolls that they tell you to make hard by using watered down glue. I left it soft. All the other mdf kits n the market just use graphics on mdf. This one feature adds alot to the kit. Again, just a little too small for some of the bigger models but it is cool to be able to take the roof off and enter the dwelling.
I just got and put together the 2 smaller hand carts from their range for scatter terrain. First thought, fragile! Every part on these are thin. Drop it once and you'll have a 3 handled cart. Matter of fact, just the way it was packaged split the mdf in some parts on mine. Other than that, easy to put together and looks good.

Next up is the new "ColorEd" range from Plast Craft. I saw these and thought, "Sweet, colored stuff I don't have to paint, and cheap too!" Without doing any more research or...reading the description of the products, I ordered 3 kits. For some reason, apparently because I really liked the look, I thought these were gonna be the best thing since sliced bread or at least, as nice as the 4ground stuff. Well I have to say that I am disappointed. They are perfectly fine kits, cut from a thin foam board type material and easy to glue and assemble. On the table, they look fine but the little details just aren't there. As I was putting together the kits, it reminded me of one time as a kid i put together one of those big 3D puzzles. The edges of the pieces weren't colored like the face of the pieces were so you had a pixelated look to the puzzle. Same thing here. Next gripe is size. I admit I didn't read the dimensions but the dojo kit would definitely be the smallest dojo in all the Jwar Isles! Not wide enough for 2 butos side by side, very disappointed with that part. No removable roof anyway so size shouldn't matter but....it does. 3rd gripe, I thought I ordered an Asian bridge but instead I got an Asian slide! There is zero chance a model will sit anywhere on this bridge without sliding down one side or another. I need to find some way to give some grip to the bridge...

I'm sure some of you real modelers could really make most, if not all, of the kits on the market look amazing. I'm not that modeler. I should have stuck with one company to give our games a more unified look. As it stands I have products from 3 companies and a couple scratch built pieces that aren't all that great.

Ret-darkframboisier
Ret-darkframboisier's picture

For the sake of scale, I think the TT combat combat stuff is really the best price/merch ratio you'll find.

The 4ground are nice, but they're small even for 28mm models

minoa

Thanks for the heads up. I thought about checking out the Sarissa Precision stuff. They have 2 ranges that will work for Bushido, one called "Japan" and one called "the far east". I just didnt want to have to paint/model any of it, same with the TT Combat stuff. At least the 4ground stuff is pre-painted.

Ret-darkframboisier
Ret-darkframboisier's picture

It can be pretty fast though: I just separated the different parts of the tt model kits: one part would be spray painted white (walls) the rest would be spray painted dark brown (floors, beams frames) took about 5 minutes to spray everything and 30 minutes to make sure everything was dry.

you can work further after that, but it already does the job if you're not too picky

ork56

Don't forget lostvillageterrain.co.uk made by Chimpenstein of this forum

minoa

I've tried contacting lost village terrain a couple times. He finally got back to me one time asking what items in wanted. I told him and never heard back from him.

ork56

Sorry on Rob's behalf, it is done as a hobby project rather than a business. I didn't realise he was so scatter-brained.

OTOH it does seem to fit-lol.

Chimpenstein

Sorry Minoa

were you asking for stuff this not on the website?

cheers

rob

minoa

@Chippenstien No, I emailed well over a year ago. Do you still have a web store I could look at things? IIRC, you had a sweet well that I wanted at least.

Chimpenstein

lostvilliageterrain.co.uk

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

i have ordered from the website a few times and have always had my stuff pretty quickly so just order through there. the quality is amazing 

Demagoge

Hi guys,

could anyone give me the measurements for the following buildings:

4Ground - Village Elder´s House

4Ground - Peasent Farmer´s Cottage

4Ground - Peasant Smallholder´s Dwelling

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

maldoror42
maldoror42's picture

i've just the peasant farmer' cottage and the measures are approximately 18*17*11 cm (on the top of the roof).

good play

Maldoror42

Demagoge

Thanks for the answer. That helps for planning my board.

Cheers,

Michael

yenohoney