AdvanceOp's Ito Clan

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture
AdvanceOp's Ito Clan

With my Iron Dragon tournament 8 weeks or so away I need to knuckle down and paint my Ito clan.

I wanted to slither into new hobby realms and use some pre-fab base topper. I've steered away from these in the past but I wanted something different for the Ito clan, and found some great ones by Dark Age that feature a subtle snake motif. Mounting them however presented some additional challenges and some patch work.

Ayako
The model is meant to sit flat on a base, and as such needed the tail extending down to meet the flagstones

Kenzo
Again this model is meant to sit flat, so needed more tail work done, but I also had to cut the coiled tail in two places and re-pose to fit around the stone rubble.

This shot shows the original tail piece, with some red arrows indicating the cut spots.

As the tail is meant to sit flat like Ayako's it needed some rebuilding

And where the tail crosses the main body there was a void that needed filling in.

Other minor works include re-cutting the skin where the end of the tail contacted it and the tail decoration itself.

On to painting!

So far... Undercoat cheeky

Am yet to settle on a list for the tournament, so I have to paint everything! cool

Greeny
Greeny's picture

looking good so far, nice work on Kenzo:)

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Horrible smartphone pics but you get the idea. Akimoto is so poor you can't tell the moss from the rock :( I'll try to get some better shots next weekend.

Naoko

Akimoto

Inspiration what this little bloke from the Daintree Rainforest in Queensland

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Henrix
Henrix's picture

Nice - love the striking colours! 

Sharp poisonous colours make them look very special.

I follow the rules of bushido. I am a bushi.

Swedish players, rally to Hokuō Bushido!

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Well overdue for an update, but I managed to catch the last rays today to snap off some decent shots with a decent camera!

Akimoto

Chiyo

Kazuhiko

Sakura

Kenzo is coming soon, Ayako has been put on the back burner while I prep for Iron Dragon. Sadly she didn't make the cut this year. Neither did Naoko indecision

Cheers
AdvanceOp

npow34
npow34's picture

These look great! I really like the color palette you have gone for here. When will you paint up Insunagi?

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

And where did you get these nice bases?!?
Good job

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Thanks guys, unfortunately Itsunagi, Ayako and the 2nd Bushi all failed to make the cut so are at the bottom of the list. Can you believe I am yet to use Itsunagi!

The bases are the Mayan range from Dark Age. Really nice resin inserts with a skull/snake theme throughout. First time I have ever used base inserts!

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Greeny
Greeny's picture

looking good, I too have yet to use itsunagi, I just love Kenzo a bit too much...

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Yeah me too. Kenzo is an auto-include for me.

I'm considering dropping Akimoto and replacing him with a Temple Bushi. I lose 2 blood but I think a good sword is better than the poison. Expecting a lot of Temple & Prefecture.

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Greeny
Greeny's picture

Depends if you are fielding naoko, the ability to move her second sometimes can be invaluable:)

npow34
npow34's picture

I really like how your models are turning out! It is cool the base inserts with the jungle teme theme. How does the Ito background describe their homeland? Is it jungle?

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Greeny wrote:

Depends if you are fielding naoko, the ability to move her second sometimes can be invaluable:)

Nope, no Naoko and possibly no Akimoto, the complete loss of initiative has been killing me aaginst Prefecture. If I win the tactical roll I end up having to move Akimoto anyway. Probably just need more practice but I found I was constantly on the back foot.

The plan is ;

Kenzo, Chiyo, Akimoto or Bushi, Sakura, & Takeji at 35 rice

Kenzo, Chiyo, Akimoto or Bushi, Sakura, Satoshi, Kazuhiko & Takeji at 50 rice

Four more painted tonight. Pics to follow (hopefully) tomorrow.

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Greeny
Greeny's picture

No naoko- no akimoto, go for the bushi, the extra blood doesn't make up for the loss of a combat model for me.

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Another four Ito clan to round out what I need for Iron Dragon plus some options.

Kenzo

Satoshi

Takeji

Temple Bushi

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Greeny
Greeny's picture

The work on kenzos tail was worth it, looks fantastic

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Thanks Greeny, I'm really happy with the way he came out, especially given he's now a staple in my Ito force selection.

Also really happywith Satoshi, the angle on the base raises him up so the long spear (hopefully) passes over the heads of most models.

npow34 wrote:

I really like how your models are turning out! It is cool the base inserts with the jungle teme theme. How does the Ito background describe their homeland? Is it jungle?

Sorry Npow I keep forgetting to reply. Yes the Ito lands are decribed as "... jungle rich and resource poor..."

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Andrew0031

good lord those look great, all the different skin colors r epic

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Well with Iron Dragon coming around again I'm bringing my Ito clan up to latest wave releases.

Here's Yatsumata getting prepped.

Cheers
AdvanceOp

Ret-AdvanceOp
Ret-AdvanceOp's picture

Good Lord how time flies! It's been 2 years since I updated this thread. I guess that mostly because I've been focusing more locally, and using m,y blog & Twitter. But thats no excuse so on to the mass image update! Let's kick off where we left off ...

Yatsumata

... and that tail section.

Kaihime

Okyo Archer

Tomatsu

Yuii

Saburo

Ito Ancestor

Cheers
AdvanceOp