UK Masters 2017 Results

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture
UK Masters 2017 Results

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Once again the maligned Wave wins :) Well done Chris!

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

Nice! Just a small aportation, the Theme I played with the Cult was Nightmares of Jigoku, probably missed it. And my warband was fully painted, yet not even close to the amazing painting level I saw throughout the tournament. There are so many excellent artists in Bushido.

BoBo

Congratz to chris! Well done.

what did he run in his list?

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Yes he played brilliantly 

I had the bad luck to meet his list first game!

alpha theme

rashka with elixor

yusha

waka

four oni slaves (not sure which sorts)

and one more special card I think

bodyguard on the onis by the slaves, using fear 6 on rashka and generally bashing me up was great but also he wasn't afraid to play the scenario either.  Great list and good player, awesome to see a faction thought dead spring back to the top.  One of the joys of this great game!

Ret-Fleafa
Ret-Fleafa's picture

Great day; really enjoyed every game. I'd like to see people's lists, so I'll start by sharing mine:

• Lords of Izu
  • Satoshi
    • Elixir of Vigour
  • Ito Ancestor
  • Takeshi
  • Jade Mamba Guard
  • Jirou
  • Hitoshi
  • Okyo Ashigaru
  • Okyo Ashigaru

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Good idea

Here's mine

Prefecture

theme claws of the dragon

Hanso

Isamu 

Mikio Doshin special version

Daisuke

Junichi

Ryu Yarimen

Madoka

Goshi

Goshi

plus Vanguard event with 3 rice

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

I played Cult, Nightmares of Jigoky Theme:

- Harionago
- Souta & Sloth
- Pennangalan
- Nezumi
- Nezumi kun
- Cultist of Yurei
- Kami of choking fog
- Kami of blighted earth

Ret-Gamerjohn
Ret-Gamerjohn's picture

I ran Temple

Righteous Warriors

-Moment of Enlightenment

-Master Po

-Kenko

-Yumi

-Riku

-Hotaru

-Kami of evening Flame

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Played Temple of Ro-Kan:

Righteous Warriors Theme

-Master Enos

-Suchiro

-Kenko, North Tree

-Koji

-Monkey

-Aiko

-Air Kami

-Fire Kami

-Ice Kami

+Hotai's Blessing Card

Were great games, very nice and polite people! :)

Bushido its not about Killing, its about Tactic.
Welcome to the Oriental-Fantasy-Fusion Game.
http://thetempleofbushido.wordpress.com

zappod

Why didn't anyone play Kage ore pirats?

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

Most people were using hail of steel spam ninja warbands, so the recent ranged attack changes hit them pretty hard.  There simply wasn't enough time for people to adapt their KKZ warbands.

The Jung just lack enough profiles to really round out the faction just now.  You can pretty much take a fighting warband and... fight...  Another 5 or so profiles would probably put them in the right spot.

It always goes to tiebreakers.

The Jumo Ring - a Bushido Blog

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

And most of the pirate models were already sold out :) The current profiles can make really strong Black Sails themes. I'm really excited to see what else is coming out after summer. An emotional hugging octopus umimiman?

Anyway, I was very surprised to see how the meta has changed to 8 model lists on average, with a lot of generic 4-5 costed models and much less of the "named" models. Me not so happy, in that regard. Yet, shame on me: I used an 8 model list with summons.

Ret-Fleafa
Ret-Fleafa's picture

Definitely want to see a hugtopus now.

I was also surprised to see so many ~8 model lists.

Wogshrog

Low cost models like the Kohanin are really good and it's hard to win when you have less activation than your opponent, that might explain the change in the meta.

Ret-chrishales
Ret-chrishales's picture

Thanks guys! My list;

Theme; alphas

Rashka- elixir and arashis fan

Waka the thunder

Yusha

Slave

Slave

Lost

Lost

Unearthly rage x2. 

Wave are in a great spot IMO at the minute, both themes are spot on and the goro makes the generic theme worth a look too!

Big thanks to all my opponents and gct for a really fun day

Bushido Grand Master 2015 & 2017

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

The game is rapidly leaning toward numbers, as you said, because the number of activations are so important. The increasing number of 4-5 cost models with 5-6 wounds and 3 dice is sort of... You no longer deploy 6 named and completely unique models anymore, when those models are almost as resilient as 6-7-8 cost models.

I think the matter of some models not being played much was something mentioned in the Grand Masters. Maybe it's not about the expensive models, maybe it's the abundance of cheap ones with 3 dice.

The only reason I chose a Cultist of Yurei over Sichiro was that 3 dice make a better bodyguard. And it goes on and on.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

I played Temple of Rokan:

Righteous Warriors theme
Master Ekusa with Hotei's coin.
Master Akari with patient mantis stance
Suchiro
The Grey Pilgrim
2 x Kami of the strong West wind
Road side idol.

Only 6 models but the air Kamis and Suchiro' s tireless-ness seemed to make up for it in the last two games when I actually remembered how to play Bushido. Lost the first round because I focussed on removing enemy models instead of playing the scenario and lost the second due to not being aggressive enough early with Master Akari and my models being one shot due to bad dice rolls versus very good dice rolls :*(

Axiam

Da Gobbo's Grotto
Da Gobbo's Grotto's picture

Personally I don't want to see the game going to hordes. If you want a high figure count skirmish game play AoS. The draw with Bushido for me is having personalities and finding the synergy within the war band. Yes I know Savage have Bakemono hordes etc but they should be an exception not a rule. Elite monk groups and strong samurai should be where the fun is! Activations are important yes but so is fun and nothing is more fun than having a big personality getting taken down or having a bag full of tricks that you can explore and exploit situations with the game.

i guess that's why I don't win tournaments, but I won't change the way I play for a dull, generic horde...

"When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. When you listen, you learn something new."
Dalai Lama

“Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain"
Sun Tze. The Art of War

Da Gobbo's Grotto
Da Gobbo's Grotto's picture

Personally I don't want to see the game going to hordes. If you want a high figure count skirmish game play AoS. The draw with Bushido for me is having personalities and finding the synergy within the war band. Yes I know Savage have Bakemono hordes etc but they should be an exception not a rule. Elite monk groups and strong samurai should be where the fun is! Activations are important yes but so is fun and nothing is more fun than having a big personality getting taken down or having a bag full of tricks that you can explore and exploit situations with the game.

i guess that's why I don't win tournaments, but I won't change the way I play for a dull, generic horde...

"When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. When you listen, you learn something new."
Dalai Lama

“Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain"
Sun Tze. The Art of War

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

Im afraid any Jung pirate list will be based on 2x Kohanin, 2x Korusea, Sho and then the named models desired up to 50 rice, getting the numbers up to 8. I'll try to keep those two generic models down to 1 not buying the second copy, so I can force myself to forget about hordes and playing the characters I like. I don't know what the pirates will look like in future competitive play.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

You can expect most Jung players to gravitate towards the Black Sails theme and a large model count as it's very easy to run.  As they get more advanced, players should then drop Black Sails and move towards Queen of the Waves, as the skill ceiling on QotW is pretty much limitless.  Once people start to see the combos, then I expect the model count average to drop to a little.

The larger model count skew is a bit of an anomaly, as a large number of warbands this year brought themes that provide an extra model for free (4x Righteous Warriors, 3x White Mesa).  I wouldn't expect that to last.

Damon Carlton
Damon Carlton's picture

Righteous warriors though is normally not a high model count as they have to use monks, the only low cost model is aiko the rest are 8 plus so a model count of 6 including the kami is probably the most you'll see I think

Rule'z of the Nerdherd
A proud owner of a gold Bushido coin and a wooden spoon.

Ret-A_Palmer
Ret-A_Palmer's picture

Or... I can look at the raw data from the past 2 UK Masters tournaments.

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Personally I hope the 8-12 model warbands lose their edge as playing this game with 6-7 good models and getting good with their abilities is more rewarding.  Being 4-6 activations down is v hard and zone control difficult if he parks three cheap models in a zone.

i took a nine model ashigaru  warband to the masters and it was a reasonably tough list but very one dimensional to play with only mikio offering fun tactics with throws etc.

i'm creating a more diverse list with some of the more unusual Ryu models (7 in total) and will play it at the next tournament to challenge myself... 

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

1-2 dice cheap model are easier to deal with. My concerns were more into those models that are almost as resilient than others 3 or 4 rice more expensive, and you are allowed to include many of them. If you could only include one copy of each model, generic or not, the game would slightly balance  as players would have a harder time filling the lists with rice 3/4/5 models.

yenohoney