[Terrain] The buraku Gomi

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henrix's picture
Henrix
[Terrain] The buraku Gomi

I feel that it is time to start thinking about my next terrain project.

I've long wanted to make a small rundown hamlet like the one in Seven Samurai, or Yojimbo, or.. well, like the ones in several old Kurosawa movies. 

And the ones in the background of the preview pics for the Yurei cultists is also very inspiring!

And I don't seem to be alone. (Right, Malhorme?)

So, I'm looking to build a buraku, a hamlet for unclean outcasts. Gomi sounds like a good name for it.

The question is: How to go about it? What to include on a 2'x2' standard table?

Can we make a special scenario for it? (It doesn't really have to be a scenario suitable for tournaments. Heck, it doesn't even have to balanced for me to be happy - just fun!)

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what the rest of you think!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Light: to be coherent with the concepts i fell such project must stick to moonlight condition.

So colours could be limited to blue/white/greys...
This has to be extended to grass and so....
That can be interesting!

Buildings. There are 3 on the drawings, but what to place in the direction the lady is facing?
Antother building? some religious stuff? (you already have some training with thoses...)
A water surface? (could be nice to have a dead body half included in the water...)
Oh my, there are hundreds of ideas...

Special scenario: village hunt! The cult must seek and kill villagers, and its oponent must prevent him of doing so.
Sort of kami hunt, expect for multiple kamis and having the righ to kill them,...
Or variation: corps Collect! The cult must seek and raise the bodys of villagers, scatered around.
Opponents must prevent this and collect the body before (temple and pref for obvious reasons, wave Well, an oni beast needs to eat, doesn't it?

Greeny's picture
Greeny

hi- this is the Burakumin village i knocked out for Jwardiff-

it was made in a couple of hours alongside all the other Jwardiff terrain though, (theres another house to replace the shrine with somewhere)  so I know you can do better! painting a night' table does sound like an interesting challege:)

MIck

Leigen_Zero

The Burakumin are considered the 'outcast caste' with regards to the Shinto beliefs.  The Burakumin were people who were associated with 'impurity'.  That is, those whose daily jobs performed tasks that were associated with impurity (i.e. death, disposal of corpses etc).  So typically they villages would contain the houses of trades who worked in death, funeral directors, embalmers, coffin makers, butchers, etc.

I would say your village should reflect this, so have some of the houses look like the inhabitants are members of those trades, perhaps have a butchery, a morgue etc.

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Many nice ideas already!

Keep it coming!

I follow the rules of bushido. I am a bushi.

Swedish players, rally to Hokuō Bushido!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

mmm, I had in mind something smaller :

Only 3 buildings, central, 

Some fields going from the houses to one edge on the table

A small hill goinf from the houses to the other edge.

Steps that climb the hill

A small (and desacralized) worship area on the submit of the hill.

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Moonlight is a very cool idea! Very cool!

I'm not certain I'll go for an entirely greyish-blue terrain, though. I'm such a slow builder and painter so I really prefer if my stuff is usable for more than one thing.

But it would be very cool.

I was thinking more of a very washed out look and deep shadows, but still some hints of colour. (I don't think I could do it like Carsten anyway... surprise)

A murky pond is a must. Dead body floating in it... perhaps, it depends a little if it is a village about to be attacked, or one that has already been massacred. I don't know, really.

Perhaps it really should be a ghost town.

Love your village, Greeny. Mine will not be built in a night..... It'll be a much duller place.

Leigen, showing that it's a nasty eta place is brilliant! 

Nothing says dirty, unclean, smelly and ritual pollution as a tannery, so a tannery it'll be. (Wonder how the japanese tanned their leather?)

I'll have to make a mock-up with what I have to see how many things there should be. I'd like four or even five small houses to make it feel like a real hamlet, centered around a dirty road.

I don't mind having it a bit cluttered.

Other things I'd like is a pond, fences, a cabbage patch, perhaps a broken cart. Possibly simple barricades. A lookout tower would be nice, but I'm not sure it fits.

Dead trees. A briar patch? Midden heap?

What else?

Greeny's picture
Greeny

that carsten board is awesome, not seen its like before! a chicken coop would be very fitting too:)

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Carsten does some great, and fun stuff. The game he had on that table was clearly a miniatures game, without combat, with every miniature having a rold.

Chicken coop - good idea! I think I know where to get nice chicken. (I actually have some, but they're true 25's and so very small.)

Greeny's picture
Greeny

they would probably work quite well, , Japanese bantams are quite small (although they have mahoosive tails) and besides- Jwardiff bantams could be anything you want them to be! (mine is going to be an 18 foot tall savage wave beast that lays explosive eggs.)

Leigen_Zero

http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=437_438&products_id=2669

Don't own any myself so can't comment, but here are some 28mm chickens

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Ah, yes, of course Black Cat has chickens. They have a lot of fun stuff! (I keep thinking about ordering lots of weird stuff, but thismight be the time.)

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

How did it start with the Drawing of un undead woman wandering in a abandoned village, and end up talking chiken??

Actually, i'm slightly going backward, regarding the moonlight: my wife made me notice that my mini would just not fit, they are too much "no painted to be in a night light village"...

I'll do the basic shopping, this weekend: a large cardboard layer... : after that, time for placing the different elements!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

By the way chiken don't run at night, do they?

Greeny's picture
Greeny

depends how many foxes are around:)

Henrix's picture
Henrix

...or how many undead are around.

Greeny's picture
Greeny

undead foxes?

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Undead do not eat chicken, this is well known : the chicken have no brain, what would an undead eat if not brain?

... end of the week, i'm allowed.

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hello,

I have done some investigations, and i found a few images that migh be of use (espc the second one!).

However, there is a proportion issue in the Karai drawing (the house on the left has a door sized for bakemonos, not humans, and the one in the back's door is smaller than the window.

I'm working a little with sketchup to find more realistic proportions

Finally : http://muraminiatures.com/making-a-28mm-japanese-house-with-interiors.html

mertaal's picture
mertaal

love the weathered wood on that first building. The second is pretty cool as well, but I'd suggest not modelling in the firboglass insulation if you decide to take it as inspiration :P.

After so many years of generic medieval fantasy and Sci Fi, Bushido terrain is a really enjoyable prospect. That tutorial is fantastic. Makes it seem so easy. 

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Nice pictures, very inspiring!

And I think the Kairai village has to stand as inspiration, not a building plan.

The Mura tutorial is very good - I had forgotten it!

Here' a thread, by Jim of Oshiro models, showing how to build a low ranking samurai house.

I'm looking at the destitute samurai's house in Hara-kiri (a very good, but horrible movie - not a feel good flick).

But I also want the buildings to be poor, not samurai down on their luck. So some of the old Kurosawa films should do it. Yojimbo (a must-see movie) for instance:

It has the western movie look that I also feel in kairai village.

As is the hamlet in the Seven Samurai

And indeed, Bushido is a great game for interesting terrain building!

One challenge here is this project (and in other villages) is how to make use of the interiors of the buildings.

The first thing is of course to not make them cul-de-sacs. At least two entrances.

Another is to have objectives or something necessary inside them.

(One of the games I've seen that made the best use of houses was a wonderful zombie game some guys here have made, where you really need the houses to hide in, and you can find stuff (random cards) to help you.)

But in a game with just six turns it is extra hard. Each action spent in a house can be a waste. So easy passage seems necessary.

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hello all.

I more or less designed my table.

Regarding the size of the table (24" x 32") I did not wnat to have a whole village.

Therefore, I decided myself for a farm a the foot of a small shrine.

The farm will be made of 3 building : one habitation house, a separated kitchen and a warehouse.

All this will be of course creepy and devastated.

the viewpoint corresponding to the picture would be at the botom of the main staircase to climb to the shirne.

I tried to have more or less the same configuration, with the dead tree on the far left (observer) that can be seen a the botom right of the table.

I placed mini's for you to get the scale.

The rice paddies at the botom are here for two reasons :

- What a great place to have roten waters and a body laying in them

- what a great place to use advantage of the "walk on water"

All the houses will have at least two entrences and will b e playable, ad the size of the table requires no major obstable.

I worked on the concept of the houses, will present it later.

Feel free to give me inputs or comments!

See you

GCT xoddsx's picture
GCT xoddsx

Loving the plan, can't wait to see this realized.

GCT Master T's picture
GCT Master T

Loving that grou and, just wanted to point out that Bushido is played on a 2ft by 2ft board.

"To a real warrior, power perceived may be power achieved."

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Looks like it'll make a nice layout!
Your plans are advancing much faster than mine! ;-)

I tried out a layout, basically a short street, yesterday (using old viking houses), but wasn't really happy with it. The centre of the table just became a killing field, which I find boring. I'll have to put something there to break it up.

I'll stick to the small village idea, anyhow.

Do you have any plans on how to make the bamboo grove? I experimented a little with an idea I had, but it turned out looking awful.

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Thanks for the comments.

@GCT Master T. I am aware of that! my intention is to play in the short dimension, the remaining will be use for cards and so (that's the intend of the flat top :-) )

@ Hendrix, I had something, involving woodchops painted in green with horizontal highlight and plastic plants.

Otherwise, I intend to cheet :http://www.decorsminiatures.fr/category.php?id_category=21

At 0.75€ the tall bamboo, 0.3 the small one, i'm gooing to invest!

Greeny's picture
Greeny

should be great when it's done:)

mick

GCT Master T's picture
GCT Master T

Cool, just didn't want you to build it all and then realise the dimensions were off. Can't wait for pictures :)

"To a real warrior, power perceived may be power achieved."

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Malhorme wrote:

Otherwise, I intend to cheet :http://www.decorsminiatures.fr/category.php?id_category=21

At 0.75€ the tall bamboo, 0.3 the small one, i'm gooing to invest!

Yeah, I should have realised you'd bring them up. I've been eyeing those for a while, actually. You're lucky to live in France - they want €16 to ship anything to Sweden. 

So I'll keep trying to make some that I'm happy with. The trouble is the leaves, and that I'd like a thicket, not just a couple.

I'll probably end up doing something similar to these, which'll take a bit of a time, but look very good:

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hello All,

Okl, I have spend tho whole evening gluing layers of polystyren on a large base.. things are progressing.

However, I worked a few days ago on the sketchup concept of the main house.

Here it is, I would welcome any comment, as actually I'm not fully satisfied of it..

The viewpoint corresponding to the drawing of the kairai would be on the second picture here.

After though, maby it is the roof that annoys me.. Dono!!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Ok, update.

Here is the basic volumes of the table.

I changed a few things, the botom border will now have a small elevation and some rice paddies on it. A creek will supply in water this and will evacuate by the est border (actually, just wanted to have a red - and creepy - bridge :-)  ).

I removed the second small staircase, on the north est corner. Was not usefull and complicated.

I also shifted a little to the right the kitchen. Was acctually blocking the path between the idol spots (the smal X ) and I wanted this to be clear.

Well, I'll have a break now, Skyrim is calling me....

Thanks for the feedback, tips and advises.

(by the way, following Hendrix's links, I found that :

That guy is fabulous, and give loads of advises. I love you, man!!

http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Terrain?updated-max=2011-10-30T15:00:00Z&max-results=20&start=12&by-date=false)

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hello, a little update.

I finished the first house.

The is the small kitchen, made of balsa and foam.

I'm thinking of the way to add some damage to the house, dont know exactly how.

I can also splat one wall with blood stains, and rip some of the planks at the base of the walls.

Cheers

Greeny's picture
Greeny

crikey, you dont half move, that house looks ace, now mess it up!

Henrix's picture
Henrix

That looks good indeed!

What's the rood made of? I can't really see, but it looks good!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hello and thanks

It's just wood, carved to represen planks. I prefered the carved version to the fully cut version for roof resistance mainly...
I added damage to the house, i'll take a picture later!

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

Hey Mr Hendrix! Any progress?
On my side, it's goiing good. I carved the table with th river, created the slops and the rice paddies, recieved the bamboo, and played a first game on it (total blood bath: bikou, hotaru, mikio, a rice farmer, hanso, hiro, mster po reduced to 1...).
Works great, i'm now looking for a body to place in the paddy, and have to start the others houses.

Henrix's picture
Henrix

Nothing much has happened, I fear. I've tried out a couple of mock villages, but I'm not really happy with the layout. 

I want to play standard scenarios on it, but do not want a killing ground in the middle.

I did buy a couple of items from Renedra to spare me some time, filler details, so to speak.

Barrels (£3 for ten barrels):

And some worn fencing. Not distincly orienta, but will work fine. I like the wear and tear on it, suitable for a rundown village. (£4.50 for 600mm. Enough to put a fence across the whole board, for the annual fight-with-your-neighour.)

Malhorme's picture
Malhorme

"I want to play standard scenarios on it, but do not want a killing ground in the middle."

Sorry, I was not clear.

I do not wanted it to be a blood bath, and I don't fell the table make this unavoidable, but there is a large spot between the houses, and I guess that when the table is a little crowed (50 rices), at one point the clash is natural (by the way, my oponent forgot Foxylady and left her playing the messenger alone...)

cookingfever

this project really similiar with my gundam project, i have been make the village for my gunpla, so this is really exiting. and my project have been finished a long time ago. so you can visit it on my webpage here https://cookingfeverhacktools.com

announcement
yenohoney