Insight into change

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
cain

Automiss. If a model with Strong trait rolls 6-1-1 for example, does this count as miss, or do you watch for double 1 after you remove the lowest dice?

GCT Master T
GCT Master T's picture

After, you would choose 6,1 to use for the damage roll. 

"To a real warrior, power perceived may be power achieved."

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

Master T is grinning

Drifter

Got my first game with the Cult vs Wave today!

1. I like the new rules!! Great work.

2. It might be necessary to decrease the Ikiryos Laserrange from LOS to something shorter

3. I would like to see some extra defense on my Puppet Master. He could go down extremely fast early which brings you in some serious trouble (early :))

4. Not sure if I like the auto-kill double 6 system. What about a trait that gives a model this ability (critical strike)??

cain

We had some mistakes in our game today, but the unlimited range on the Ikiryo may cause a bit anger. A deployment error (yeah, dont begin the game with all facing backwards?) and you loose a weak but important model (Aiko, WuZang) in the first action by a deployment zone>deployment zone shot.

In a "starter" game you have a good chance to loose your most expensive model in the second turn (Oni with 1 Ki anyone?).

And she still stands there (in relative safety) until the game end, focusing and lasering. On a "normal" terrain she covers huge lines you cannot normally play on.

And a question we got often because of the Kirais.

Prone, standing up and the -1d: on page 14 model states, prone says you suffer -1 when initiating a melee exchange by standing up. p7 standup action says resolve a melee exchange after removing the prone state, which sounds a bit you dont get the -1.

GCT Master T
GCT Master T's picture

No you still get the -1. If you survive the Melee then future Melee's wont be with the -1. If you remain Prone you continue getting -1's. 

"To a real warrior, power perceived may be power achieved."

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

Well, our Cult vs. Temple games went on properly (thanks god every double 6 roll in 2 dice went on fear and ki tests because there were about 4 during the game).

You are complaining about Kato's defence. Well, he might have a wall of kairais, or if not Araka (which is, by itself, an excellent wall) protecting him. He has fear 5, which is lethal vs. bakemonos, and Onis can be easily stopped with a well timed marionette (Waka being controlled and forced to throw the budda head against another Oni, op!).

For instance, Kenko just rushed in to one hit kill Kato. Of course, Kato had already sumonned a marionette close (in the second activation of the first turn, with 4 ki). So he rolled all dice in defence and survived, which meant next activation the marionette took control of kenko for several activations.

And, the issue of Ikiriyo. The problem of deploying eveyone looking forward only happens the first time, and it happened to everyone so don't worry. Now, the unlimited range is an outstanding tactical advantage, more than a instagibbing laser. In the new rules, if you Run you must face the direction you ran to, so if Ikiryo is watching, enemies won't dare running to the middle of the board. So your kairais won't get there a whole turn later. Chuck Norris approved.

Even more, maps should contain some obscuring terrain, like forrests or so, and that is very useful to avoid her gaze.

The game is very well balanced. We have to try some more minis yet to check their power, but up to now nothing seems unbeatable.

cain

Hm, in our game the cult was absolute dominating. Ok, some tactical and rules failures, but still...

The Wave turned all idols until turn 2, and then lost most models until the end of turn 4. The Ikiryo killed the Oni and 2 Bakemonos, Kirais killed some more without problems. One Bakemono was marionetted for the next 3 turns. Byebye model.

All the Wave could killed was a summoned Kirai (my opponent could have made him +2 rise, but didnt care because extra model), and a normal Kirai who caught a 6-6. Summoning Bakemono does not really work with starter sets. I really feeled steamrolled.

Just the first game, we will do some more with less mistakes and see.

The problem of deploying eveyone looking forward only happens the first time, and it happened to everyone so don't worry. Now, the unlimited range is an outstanding tactical advantage, more than a instagibbing laser. In the new rules, if you Run you must face the direction you ran to, so if Ikiryo is watching, enemies won't dare running to the middle of the board. So your kairais won't get there a whole turn later.

So, the only disadvantage the cult faction in the starter box has is covered by the fact that one single model forces me to play the full game backwards to give up my speed advantage and "balances" the 2 MS Kirais to normal level? That does not sound like a brilliant idea.

Malhorme
Malhorme's picture

GCT team, could you give us your feedback on this evolution of the deadly lady?

Polar_Bear
Polar_Bear's picture

If everything goes as it should, I should be playing some games against Crazyfish later this afternoon. Probably Temple vs. Prefecture (or possibly Temple vs. Temple). We'll see how things go.

While I played little starter-box games against myself for the review, we'll see how it goes against an opponent who doesn't automatically know what I'm thinking.

Plus... I get to use... Mizuchi!... *maniacal laughter here*

There are some people that call me... Polar_Bear
In fact, most do.
Come see me over at http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/.

mertaal
mertaal's picture

Jason Koepp wrote:

While I played little starter-box games against myself for the review, we'll see how it goes against an opponent who doesn't automatically know what I'm thinking.

Tut tut. Didn't anyone tells you what happens to boys who play with themselves!? :P

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

Again, pieces of scenario are for something. Everytime I play with Ikiryo I make sure there are 2-3 forest pieces to block lines of vision, or maybe some pieces of wall. If you win the roll, block any line of sight to force her move around to see your units.

Ikiryo also needs tons of Ki to actually deal that much damage. Put on her sight high Ki value units to make her loose her rolls, or use defensive units for protection (tenchi or rice farmers. Or even more souless units which are inmune). This way, she will waste a lot of ki in failed rolls and will need a couple of turns to recover. The same for the Marionette. Force it to activate vs. units that roll 3 and 4 dices, or strike it down with a combo attack (each attack take 1 ki counter from it. If it doesn't dissapear, it will become highly useless). Once again, combo attack results deadly vs. durable units.

She can be heavily punished by fast and fearless units like the Nian, the dragon or a Monk with some blessing (or master Po by itself). If not, any Fearless unit with combo attack can strike her down in a single fight, as her touch the void only triggers for one of the many hits.

It's no different from before. She had range, but it was a huge range and as soon as she ran some inches she could instakill anyone. Now, as she must roll damage, there are still some chances that your units may survive with a few lifepoints left.

Henrix
Henrix's picture

One of the differences the unlimited range does is that she can really punish new players who do not know or remember her terrible ability. Penalise the newbie, so to speak.

12" wasgood enough, I'd say.

I follow the rules of bushido. I am a bushi.

Swedish players, rally to Hokuō Bushido!

Hakkor
Hakkor's picture

That something I didn't think about. In the old version, she had to get closer to the middleto reach every enemy. Now, she can stay still in the back of the board and still punish them. Of course, if she does that, she won't be able to capture any point... and sometimes not having enough minis to camputre points mean losing.

Greeny
Greeny's picture

I think you are all too worried about Ikiryo, when you should be watching out for the two large rat swarms eating your everything:)

Pages

yenohoney