Master Enos

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
GCT Master Enos
GCT Master Enos's picture
Master Enos

Master Enos rules and model are finally up!
I am dying to hear what you guys think of him, I hope he becomes a regular feature of our faction lists.

I've been playing him for a while now so I'll post my findings if there is interest but I'd like to see everyone else's reactions first.

minoa

Please don't take this the wrong way but Dim-mak? Van Damme is probably rolling over in his grave...or at least his career is! That feat should have been used to remove idols and/or terrain as the move was used to break bricks in Bloodsport. Maybe earth kamis too. Otherwise he looks pretty cool and it would be sweet to have a model made with ones' own ideas, congrats.

Atrus
Atrus's picture

Seems powerful! I liked it because is original, can't wait to try him on table ^^

There is an errata in the second Ki Feat. The cost shown is 3, and in the card back is 2.

Bushido its not about Killing, its about Tactic.
Welcome to the Oriental-Fantasy-Fusion Game.
http://thetempleofbushido.wordpress.com

MistakeNot
MistakeNot's picture

So if he uses Divert Energy to do damage does the Spirit Block happen or not? It is damage inflicted through a Melee Exchange..

The guy seems quite powerful, though with Weak he's not likely to kill very much. Kind of excited about the Metal and Void kamis, those seem interesting.

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

i think he is awesome Ret-Lej you have done an awesome job creating a unique mini with a lot of depth

the dim mak looks awesome but not overpowered as it takes your 11 pt mini out as well, have you used him in the monk themed list? is it as good as i am imagining.

awesome job sir 

GCT Master Enos

The cost should be 2*.  It was lowered in playtesting due to not always having access to "Faith" from a Rice Farmer whenever he uses his signature ability.

Damage from Divert Energy is from the melee exchange so triggers Spirit Block.
With Combo Attack (0) Divert energy is really rather good.

For free I'll tell you, give him "His own" Earth Kami.  The combo of it getting health back when he damages it, giving Armour(2) and him getting Toughness (1) is perfect synergy.
Also note, wounding an Air kami and being B2B with an air Kami stacks the Movement bonus.

Dim Mak does a lot...  one of the most powerful applications I found is to not use it!  The threat of Cobra Strike and Dim Mak is often more powerful than removing another model...  except Rashka maybe!

Current List:

Righteous Warriors
Master Enos
Kenko The North Tree
Suchiro
Seiji
Aiko
Air Kami
Earth Kami
Moment of Enlightenment
Prayer Beads (Suchiro)

I'm not fixed with this (And its got 1 Rice left) but its a good start.

*Subject to Master T saying otherwise.  He does more playtesting than I do!

Grand Master of Bushido (Smog Con '14)

ErikS
ErikS's picture

Perhaps a silly question, but what about Righteous Warriors when he loses his 'Monk' type? Perhaps a bit philosophical since restriction is sort of only tested when building the band, but it does feel a bit wrong to benefit from the 'Monks only' while having a traitor to the Kami around.

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

cool so Lej do you have a back story for him?

GCT Master Enos

I'm not sure how much GCT are releasing, I don't want to spoil their advertising and marketing schedule but...

Master Enos is the inheritor of a technique forbidden by the Temple but too powerful to be forgotten.  While it can tip the scales of any conflict in Master Enos' favour, the cost is high.  Only a Master with great knowlege of the balance of Ki and wisdom to see the consequences of each use can ever be considered as a student in this discipline.   Each Master teaches the technique to one student to keep the style alive when he passes but just learning from Master Enos is a terrible burden and, knowing what one with this power could do if not of the correct temprament and discipline, Master Enos has been away from his Temple for years looking for a worthy sucsessor.

You can see on the model a few of these ideas expressed by the artist and sculptor:

Master Enos is not in any identifiable "Element" stance.
His robes are tattered and frayed at the edges as he wanders around and rarely visits the Temples where he could get new ones.
His hands in the stance are not in any kind of combat pose, I imagine a pressure point attack or vulkan nerve pinch thing...

I sort of picture the technique as forcing Ki to do something (Rather than using natural Ki flows) or robbing natural elements of their power (Rather than working with them) to help him.  So maybe Enos is attacked and he steals the "Rocky-ness" from the rocks he's stood on, his body hardens and he can take the blow but the rocks turn to sand and blow away, He can use the power of a River to heal himself but maybe the river will dry up...

In game he uses the forces from the Kami to represent this and also Divert Energy and Spirit Block fit the same theme, using the enemies energy.

I think when I gave them the idea GCT has taken it and made rules, art and a mini that all really fit the concept.  I am really happy with the result and can't wait to get him on the table for reals!

GCT Master Enos

ErikS wrote:

Perhaps a silly question, but what about Righteous Warriors when he loses his 'Monk' type? Perhaps a bit philosophical since restriction is sort of only tested when building the band, but it does feel a bit wrong to benefit from the 'Monks only' while having a traitor to the Kami around.

He can go in the Righteous Warriors theme list.

If he is not a monk at the time a model has to be chosen, he can't gain the leech and channel.

If he's not a monk when defending a Ki attack, he won't gain Iron Mind +1

undead_ichi
undead_ichi's picture

nice thats awesome lej i like him even more now. hopefully will get to try him out this weekend

Zenvious
Zenvious's picture

Straight up, I like him. I stopped playing Temple because it became popular in my area (I'm a hipster gamer - what can I say!), but I'd definately use him if I dusted the monks out of meditation on my shelf :D

I like how Weak and Str -1 really add to his theme of using presure points over brute force.

I REALLY like the combo of Divert Energy + Combo Strike (0). Gain an SL of 4 on your attack, pop "Divert Energy" (since its an Instant) for -2 Ki, to then TAKE +3 Ki from the target.

Or, alternatively, he does the same but goes for Wounds - Healing +3 Wd's while the enemy suffers -3 Wd's, AND with the added bonus the target gains three Spirit Block tokens (i.e.: they won't be gaining any more Ki for THIS fight!).

Oh and I didn't ignore 'Split attack'. Spend -2 Ki to deal with being outnumbered, then commit 2 dice to each target (1 ATK/ 1 DEF) and start leaching health from each.

For even more punch, have him eat a Fire Kami to stack 3+ Fire Tokens on the target. I also think its cool how you've made the Earth Kami his personal side-kick :D

I find Dim-Mak also very cool - especially if you use Cobra Strike to secure the Intiative. An SL of 0 and the target is gone (though so is Enos). Thematically I like to think he doesn't die or disolve to dust from doing this, but rather is disgusted at what he has had to do and chooses to leave the battle-field to meditate until he feels he has repented for "being forced to use that accused technique once again...".

He also seems fairly well balanced. His weakness isn't circumstantual meaning any warband can likely deal with him. He only has 5 Wd's which means a decent solid-hit will take him down (even if he does have Dodge) and he's not designed to kill his enemies outright (though i can see him doing so with Combo-Attack, even with his low Damage roll). Thus, since he can't force them out of an engagement with him, even a Bakemono could potentially hurt him if the dice are unlucky in his favor. 

All in all, love the work of this model. Good job :)

GCT Master Enos

One thing we found early in playtest, damage an air Kami while in B2B with them, gain +2 move.

Using that and Vault you can often get to back lines and hit support models or models they are trying to protect.  Comboing stealing Ki and spirit Block can nullify them for several turns.

It costs a lot but then with 4 dice and dodge you can survive and if they try to retaliate you have split attack for getting spirit block off the turn after on all of them!

He does use loads of Ki, this is a theme with Temple.  Beware anything that makes your Ki generation reduced.  Temple can produce amazing results but they go through huge amounts of Ki to do it.  Thats a weakness though over a faction like Ryu or Ito that can happily operate on minimal Ki all game.

GCT Master Enos

Quick look at the Kami abilities.  

• Buy him an Earth Kami, its like his best friend.  Perfect Synergy.
  • Fire Kami is ok, generally you won't use this ability, just be in B2B if you want the fire and get +1 Melee Strength.
  • The Metal Kami totally changes how he plays.
  • Air is also amazing, being able to get +2 Move is a big deal.
  • Water (Both of them!) is a small bonus, I think we have enough healing without the regular water Kami but if you use the replacement (Hint:  You should be!) then Enos can use his unique effect for emergency healing.  With Divert Energy its a bonus not Plan A.
  • Void Kami is too variable to comment quickly on it general use but the extra Ki from the ability can be amazing since this whole faction is very Ki intensive.  If you only use the Kami for the extra Ki then its Rice well spent!

Overall, the Kami I was already using (Air and Earth) go well with him but thats because they are already doing good stuff, Enos just adds another option.  I wasn't really using the Water or Fire Kami and I don't think this will change, I will be looking at the new Water Kami from the extra cards because again its a good piece without Enos, he can just tap it for healing.

yenohoney