My Masters 2016 list

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture
My Masters 2016 list

Hi, I went to the masters for the first time and it was top fun smiley As an follow up to that I´d like to share my list and reasoning.

Manu 9
Golden Sentinel 8
Hakushi 7
Wasapu 6
Wakasu Gorilla 6
Honoko 5
2x Kyoaku-Han 8
-Inside Information 1

Manu and the Sentinel are zone controllers. The go in and Push or Throw oppnents away to break up their formation and disable their ability to score. As such they are able to work without much support because they are hard to outnumber. Manu's Throws also triggers the odd opportunity to kill exhausted and Prone enemies or can go berserk and charge high Fear, but brittle key support models (looking at you Yurei lot).

The Gorilla and Wasapau are the major hitters. Wasapu positions T1 and turn 2 Inside Information lets him close in to Short range on the target and unload 2+2 bolts through Strafe. The Gorilla wants to engage an already engaged and Sic'em'd target for outnumbering and Coordinated attack.

Hakushi is a flanker and infiltrator who also is a great solo player due to MS3 and Dodge 1. It works well as a killing duo with the Gorilla through Honokos Command. Leap over enemy lines, then first Command Hakushi to attack from behind followed by the Gorilla from the other side for a new Surpise Attack with Combo Attack.

Honoko is half the strategy with the already mentioned Sic'em which pushes the Gorilla or Jaguar to MS4 with the buff upp. Next major use is to create unexpected chained attacks with Command on the animals. Apart from that she´s a jumped up Kyoaku-Han, doing scenario duty and being in the way.

The Kyoaku-Hans are mostly objective solvers and speed bumps pulling duty on full defense and Dirty Fighting up to stop opponents from Side Stepping away etc.

D_Arquebus

Nice list.

Thanks for posting and the explanation as to how it works. :)

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Post tournament thoughts.

I´m deliberating to do the unexpected and drop Wasapu(!?). The reason being that although his threat level is very high the set up is quite a hassle, is mostly a one shot wonder and prone to bad luck. E.g. at GM, in the game vs Chris' Wave he fluffed and vs Oskar (Ret-Orko) he died to a lucky poisoned arrow from Kaihime before being able to impact the board.

A short listed replacement is Misao, the Grey Rose. Prediction is very powerful for preparing ganging ups. At your start of turn you ask who they´ll activate next. Following that attack whoever they did not name and you get a free outnumber and Surprise (you did remember to come at them by angle to turn their back to your follow up guy, right?).

If we add Cheat Fate on top of that it´s enough to devastate most targets with the added benefit that cursed targets tend to be very careful in entering melee, so it´s way to at least shut out one model per turn. Finally Tactician. It´s nice, but not critical as Prediction does much the same and more.

Misao obviously need Coin Strings to pay for all this KI, but as she will just Focus turn 1, she´ll start with a hefty pool of 8 T2. That allows for both curse and prediction, resulting in a similar scenario to Wasapus T2 alpha strike ability, with the added benefit that Misao can do the same thing again T3 (and Curse or Predict again T4). Compared to Wasapus one-shot moment of glory this feels like much more versatility.

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

minoa

Finally giving up on Wasupu, huh? Been awhile since we've chatted on lists, Ret-MattT. Glad the see at least 1 buto in your list. I STILL think Manu is a utilitarian beast. I also like Honoko and animals, though poor Gorilla never survives a match.

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Lo minoa, been awhile smiley Yup, new times, but might not pan out. STS shooting is devastating after all. Debating trying Harukichi+Coin Strings and Ruy Deserter too because of the added Push and the re-rolls who wrecks most melee math to our advantage. A 6 Rice Gorilla barrelling in supported by both the handler and Oyabun is nasty! (or Manu or Sentinel for that matter)

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

As a follow up on this I tested this list recently:

Dafukaia
Golden Sentinel
Harukichi + Coin Strings
Honoko
2x Kyoaku-Han
Kami of Burning Rage
2x Pit Dog

Two fighters with control features around the objectives, action control in Honokos Command and dogs that turns into formidable fighters with Honokos Feat. All this supported by the Oyabuns rerolls. It had sone well, but Harukichi still fields like a gamble (pun intended). Sometimes you don´t need the rerolls and at others they doesn´t help. Sometimes Tactician is good and other it doesn´t really matter. Leadership is also so and so. Despite his awesomeness in theory I can´t really get to like him.

Looking at the dogs and the Sic'em feat I am starting to reason that Old Zo may be an alternative. His Tax is very annoying for the opponent, but if he starts to Trade stolen Ki to Honoko the dogs could benefit from the Feat every turn. Not bad.

Another one who also like extra Ki is the fallen monk. He usually shifts between getting extra dice for Slamming and Powerful Attack or firing up to clear out chaff. (Hello Nezumi) Now he could do more.

Zo and Coin Strings would save 2 Rice. That´d open up many possiibilities. STS has a huge goodie bag of special cards. I´ll start reading asap smiley

minoa

Once again it seems like we are having 2 totally different experiences with the STS. I'm just not impressed with Dafukaia, never have been. Golden sentinel is alright, like him better with his envoy though. How can Harukichi's reroll only be useful sometimes in a game of dice?! Unless you are rolling amazing and your opponent is rolling horrible, I don't see how he's not effective in almost every game, barring bad play of course.

I haven't played the pit dogs yet but really like them on paper. I will often play with the animals as backup to my buto. Been a while since I posted a list, i'll try to get to it after work.

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

The reson rerolls feel iffy is that the result gap is so narrow in Bushido. If we roll 3 and 4 respectively what point is there to reroll? That is the common case as per how the dice results scales. It´s only really, I mean REALLY good, when either of the models in the exchange has an outlier result of 1 or 6. Else it´s a shift of 1 or 2 on the result which adds a wound or two, making the 9 rice and 2 Ki/turn investment hard to justify to me.

Take Ito in comparison they get bonus wounds for much less hassle. Dafukaia does the same by himself and his Kami. And much more. I somehow seldom get the feeling that Fortune´s Favour is that useful.

Dogs are lovely. They´re tough little mutts that can't be poisoned and demand respect as fighters. Not to mention the action game you have with Command.

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Yes, there's a window to do (A) Feats, and (I) obviously, before activating your model.

yenohoney