How's the Envy?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture
How's the Envy?

I haven´t played Cult really, as a STS player mainly, but I found this pair interesting. Especially the part of Envy being a damned if you do and damned if you don´t with giving Control counters to models hurting it. It feels quite tricky to solve that tactical conundrum if I´d been up against it.

So, how has it worked for those who´ve used it?

Ret-darkframboisier
Ret-darkframboisier's picture

Barely finished painting it, i'll give it a try this week; i'll tell you then!

Ret-darkframboisier
Ret-darkframboisier's picture

Tested it this week end: envy's great!

The Orphan doesn't do much, and I found his personal ki feat hardly had any purpose as I played a full kid force, with kamis and other cheap models. The most expensive was yuma haba, and I was against jung pirates with minato and the black sail theme.

The thing is, your opponent never wants to hit it with his big guys, the small guys don't necessarily achieve BtB with the fear 5, and once you can use acquisition, it goes to another level (I could steal minato's powerful attack, weapon and he was killed by it) He had no other choice, as striking envy back the envy would have made him controlled in my team at a time the zone control VP was in the equation.

The Orphan did nothing but cap zones and sit on a shitload of ki to summon envy if it was killed, which my opponent never dare try!

I wanted to try a list with the three kids thinking it woul be cool but uneffective, it ended up being a pain in the ass for my opponent:

the fog kami bugged Yuji straight away, so no battle station, then he spent the game tied up with sloth.

The earth kami bugged minato with his difficult terrain zone, preventing him from moving as he wanted, and with no combo strike, minato's hard hits were almost wasted on the kami.

meanwhile yuma aba tagged zones, and fought a bit, being the object of Yori's wrath.

But roughly, the Envy was sitting in the central zone (Ryodo) the the small guy stayed at a distance bacause of the fear, and at some point minato was trapped by it...

definitely a great model, with a real tactical conundrum for your opponent

Axiam
Axiam's picture

That's a fairly difficult Kami to use on paper. It's not durable so a good hit can kill it and without it burning 3 life it halves all wounds it causes. So for a control token I'd consider taking it down, or just defend against it with a cheap model so it doesn't escalate its ki to high levels, at which point it becomes a bit monstrous.. would sit nicely with Yama especially if you can steal an ancestors melee boost star for the rest of the game.

Axiam