New Player Advice

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roly9205
New Player Advice

Hi there, just starting to get into the game following the path of fed up with bloat creep with gw/warmahordes/infinity. 

Been reading through the forums and looking at the model cards but don't really know what faction to nail my colours to.  I have always been drawn to the bad guy factions, and playing the no popular or non competitive, basically like the challenge of making a list work. I tend to go with a control/alpha strike style of play and from my understanding this is leading me towards wave or cult on the bad guy side. At the moment thinking of getting the two starters and learning the game with those. Is that viable for cult or is it better to go down a taka/ nuzemi route?

in addition does anyone know of any gamers around the Oxford/Abingdon/Newbury area? I cannot seem to get the player map to work for me. 

Any advice would be great, many thanks Roly

Ashley408
Ashley408's picture

Roly

I have paid a large number of other games and this is my favourite by far. Pretty well balanced and how you play is crucial not just your list.

A simple but deep game where you aren't checking the rule book every 5 minutes.

Small table, excellent hidden dice fighting mechanics, good scenarios, killing isn't always how to win etc etc.  I could go on for ages.

Cult are an old faction but still work really well with lots of different lists.  Wave are also fun (especially if you like painting large figures) but you have to be careful with your list to ensure it is competitive.  

However, a wave player won the Grand Masters this year showing there's life in this faction yet!

The cult starter set is probably better than the wave one as many wave lists seem to feature non-starter set figures whereas the cult ones seem to be used by lots of cult players.

Ito are sometimes seen as bad guys and you could say the Jung Pirates are as well so lots of choice for you.  

I only play one faction (Ryu good guys!) but have been playing with different lists for a few years now and haven't needed to start a new faction as there is a lot of options to play different styles in one faction.

There are quite a few players over here in Hemel Hempsted as well as groups in Portsmouth, south London etc.  Check out your local gaming clubs and you might find some Bushido players in them.

There are normally 3-5 tournaments each year around the country if you can take off the odd Saturday and jump on a train.  The tournament scene is relaxed and friendly although we do all play to win! 

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Savage wave are perhaps the most Alpha strike-esque, especially Rashka. They also have a controller type that is pretty strong in the list.

Ito ashigaru with Mizuki would be an unusual list that could be challenging but includes control to gain some chance at advantages.

Cult have such diversity that you can build whatever evil list you fancy, use rat swarms to turn and tire opponents; swing in with some Karai to exhaust, scare and outnumber and have Kato stab them in the kidney and capture their soul with a mask. Not easy to pull off but seeing your opponents face as their important model becomes more Karai should be enjoyable ;)

Axiam

Roly9205

Cheers guys, will try to spread the word around here, on that note would cult vs wave be ok for demo/learning with the starter set? I am a tinboy at heart so can see me ending up with a couple of factions.  Will look into the scene and try and get around a bit, once I have a bit of experience with the game.

Axiam
Axiam's picture

Ive not played either so this is mostly conjecture based on experience of what I've played but I would imagine that the wave Oni (Zuba) would chew through the Kairai fairly consistently but the bakemono will struggle a little and the kairai can get back up from a death blow (easily with katos help). Additionally, both sides can bring models back into play, so it would certainly be interesting to have the starters battle.

The Cult starter is very slow so the Savage wave would have most of the advantage unless Ikiryu or the manekin are able to mess up Zuba with ki feats. Kato may struggle due to being weak but could convert some bakemono into zombies under the right conditions.

As an intro game it might be a little intricate but if your gamer group are used to complex games it would be a fun match up due to being quite power swingy throughout the battle due to key moments going one way or another. But there is the possibility that Kato and Ikiryu could both end up in trouble early (Zuba has a good ranged attack that could be devastating to both) and the cult list would fall apart somewhat from there.

I would recommend the special card packs as well and take the desecrated grave for the zombies to make the battles slightly more competitive, rather than spending 2 turns getting to the centre of the board.

Axiam

Ret-MattT
Ret-MattT's picture

Great info there, but just let me correct one thing: Ruy good guys ​ Ruy, usurpers of the Jwar from the true ruling Clan, the Eagle. wink

Cult starter suffer from being complex and slow moving, so I´d not jump at it. Better some Samurai faction or Monks imho for starters..

The Eagle shares the nest. The Dragon burns it. Join the Black Eagle and crush the usurpers!