Bushido Tabletop RPG?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Samurguy990
Bushido Tabletop RPG?

Would anyone else be interested in a Bushido RPG? I really like the setting, and it has a lot of different competing factions and goals perfect for creating plot hooks. I've been thinking about running a campaign in the setting using the monte cook cypher system, but it would be cool to get an official rpg (especially since it would help flesh out the world more).

GCT Master Enos
GCT Master Enos's picture

I could write an essay on the issues we face trying to make something like that...

The combat system, choosing attack and defence dice is a good RPG mechanic and the traits and feats work great too.

Grand Master of Bushido (Smog Con '14)

Samurguy990

I feel like the game itself isn't that far off from a more mechanics heavy rpg system. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the first tabletop rpgs evolve from miniature wargames?

That being said, I don't know if I would even need a new system--I would jump at a setting book that I could use with a generic rpg system. The New Dawn rulebook is great, but it leaves some pretty big gaps (Ex: what exactly is yurei, what are the "Five Fortunes" religion's precepts/deities, where is the frontline in the war between the ito and prefecture, how does the shugenjas' manipulation of the elements differ from the monks' practically speaking, ect.). For the campaign I'm planning (and hoping to play... some day) I've been mostly filling those gaps on my own, but official answers would be great. 

I love the world of Bushido (even if I suck at the game), but I'm still a bit fuzzy on its details. I'm aware that some of these details are meant to be mysteries, but in order to run a game with, say, the cult as the main antagonist, you'd have to know what their endgame is. I hope I'm not coming off as whiny or entitled; This is just something I would love to be explored sometime in the future.

Measure once, roll twice — a silvermoon player

Meavar
Meavar's picture

Some of those things fleshed out would be great, I completely agree.

Meavar

JohnHarris1989
JohnHarris1989's picture

Would definitly play that, although in the current state it would be difficult to port it. Major changes to the combat system would have been made in order to make it somewhat playable.

The suspicious mind conjures its own demons ― Hanshiro, BizSet